Top 10 reasons not to pay full price for Return to Wolfenstein

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well the solo game is awesome - damn but the crypt was spooky as sh@t playing in a dark room!

I just entered the church.

My only complaint is that there seems to be quite a few recycled sounds from Quake3 - the grenade bouncing sound in particular. It sounds stupid.

Also I've found that sneaking up to someone and killing them with a knife doesn't usually prevent an alarm from being sounded anyway.

AI isn't very bright, but it's entertaining enough.

The game makes no logical sense at times - finding vast quantities of ammo for an american machine gun scattered throughout a German base seems absurd.

I'm not totally sure I like multiplayer yet - it's not brilliant like Dod (Day of Defeat) and I wish there was some difference in weapon selections between the two sides. I'm still getting used to the weapon physics so I can't really grumble until I get more hours with it, but I sure as hell don't like the long re-spawn times.

I would also like to have seen a prone position like in Dod - I think that should be pretty much standard with this sort of game now. Seems absurd to see soldiers kneeling on a beach while they're being raked with heavy machine gun fire.

The maps are stunning, though, although they really need some more multiplayer maps.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

The Wraithlord
Golden Member

Post by The Wraithlord »

finding vast quantities of ammo for an american machine gun scattered throughout a German base seems absurd.

You did??? Where????? The only ammo I found vast quantities of was for the MP40.

As for multiplayer maps, the developers have said that a mappack is due out within the next few weeks.
In time, you too will understand what I do.
blade

Post by blade »

I have liked all levels up to this outdoor level I'm stuck on. You have to go undetected and hitch a ride on a truck. That outside map looks like something from duke3d or even trespasser to me. Plus the darn alarm keeps going off no matter what I do and ending my mission. Plus the level isn't fun at all to me, sux actually. Any way to skip it? :D

Thet lights not breaking is suking more and more. As for the save game glassoftea I've learned sometimes you have to load your last one 2-3 times sometimes before it starts where you actually saved it.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Eck Wraith.... my mistake, for some reason I thought the initial sub machine gun you find is an American made model.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

The Wraithlord
Golden Member

Post by The Wraithlord »

Thet lights not breaking is suking more and more

Uhh since when is this a new thing?? The only game I can recall having this ability was the original AvP. No Quake or Unreal based game to my knowledge has EVER had that ability. I didn't have a problem with this at all. Basically it boils down to engine constraints. The Q3 engine, from what I understand, forces level designers to place lights as part of the map-creation process. As such, they are as indestructible as your average wall. Might as well bitch about that while your at it :lol

FP: And you play DoD??? Hell, I would have thought you knew that the MP40 was German weapon. :)
In time, you too will understand what I do.
PreDatoR
Life Member

Post by PreDatoR »

I just picked it up and i think its awesome... Few minor annoyances about it but overall gameplay is a blast... I'm up to the sub part in the snow. Gettin' my ass kicked by a couple big guys with chain guns.
Nomjr

Post by Nomjr »

Picked it up today @ CC for $29.99. Definitely a good deal for that price. 1600x1200 on my 21" looks and runs great.

Nomjr
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I think we're WAY overdue for games with more destructable environments. Heck, Duke Nukem had breakable lights and made an attempt at destructable environments and that was EONS ago.

Halflife also tries to do it with persistent scorch marks and blood stains. Max Payne tool it even further, and Red Faction made a valiant attempt at it with destroyable walls.

I think in the coming year people are going to demand it. The technology is available now and it helps with the suspension of belief.

Kakarot
Golden Member

Post by Kakarot »

I think the breakable environment has more to do with the physics engine than the graphics engine.
"Why build only one when you can build two for twice the price?"
<a href="mailto:murphy@excaltech.com">Email</a>
<a target=NEW href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=377">Heatware evals</a>
PreDatoR
Life Member

Post by PreDatoR »

I ended up playing at for about 10 hrs yesterday... On mission 7 part 1 i think... all i know is its a hard SOB to get through... I think it might be the last boss but not sure... If it is i'd be happy i've made 5 attempts to cap his ass and have had no luck... Those damn souls flying around kill me too damn quick...