If you like to play First Person Shooters online BUY SOF2 NOW!!!

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
RaT
Golden Member

Post by RaT »

i was finally able to put some decent amount of time into this game. and yes... this game is the shiyet!!!!!!!!!!!

like FP i love how the MP aspect of this game feels. Gameplay, weapons, maps & etc. are cool. It also runs smooth on my setup. I was also able to tweak the settings (controls) to a similar game that usually takes up most of my time, Q3 Urban Terror.

It'll prolly get better once some good quality 3rd party maps come out.
"I didn't do it!!!!"

Post by FlyingPenguin »

This game is all I've been playing now for the past two weeks.

I've never been a fan of deathmatch but DM in this game is a friggin' riot!

I'm also starting to enjoy the random CTF maps. It's kind of cool that the maps are randomly generated - keeps things interesting. I didn't like the fog in these outdoor maps originally, but once you get used to it the fog is VERY challenging and fun. I like playing base defense wearing the thermal imager.

I pretty much buy the AK47 exclusively. It's the best all around weapon.

I'm "FlyingPenguin[OFC]" if anyone sees me in a game, say hi!
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

RaT
Golden Member

Post by RaT »

that's cool... i had no idea CTF maps were "randomly generated". I've probably played 1 or 2 CTF games so far and mostly Infiltration.

I believe there's a patch due early next week with new maps, fixes and a new weapon.

Now all i need is more time to PLAY!!!! :-)
"I didn't do it!!!!"

Post by Absolut Talent »

I dont do this very often, and I am sorry to say this, but I have to disagree with you

I am glad I didnt spend $45 on this game
I played through it a little more. Single player is buggy and isnt a whole lot different from SoF1. Multiplayer is a little nicer and a better alturnitive to CS, but its all been done before

Besides it being extra bloody and a couple new features not seen in many games, its nothing that great
Gone for good. But never say never
PreDatoR
Life Member

Post by PreDatoR »

Sof2 is a blast... I downloaded an ISO to try it out. Had the original and loved it... After trying out single player with a non legit copy i couldn't help but buy it to try out MP. Got the game last night and its a friggin' blast. As far as single player goes. To me its a lot different that SoF1 was... Game seems a hell of a lot harder now than it did before. The enemy's seem to be a hell of a lot smarter than before. The first couple missions seemed kind of lame but once u get into it its hella fun...
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

ABSOLUT: It may just not be for you, but I urge you to try multiplayer CTF for a while before passing final judgement. Forget the solo game, that's not where it's at.

Yes it really doesn't do anything "new" - a lot of reviews are saying that. What it DOES do is everything "right". When was the last time a friggin' first person shooter worked PERFECTLY in multiplayer on the internet RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX?

Pure and simple, it's FUN. CounterStrike stopped being FUN around version 5.0 when they HEAVILY screwed around with weapon physics. Day of Defeat stopped being FUN after they added weapon physics in v2.1.

Don't get me wrong, I love DOD and CS, but they are no longer games you can just jump into and have FUN anymore. They're WORK now - a real challenge. Sometimes I don't feel like working that hard for my entertainment.

I like Quake3 Urban Terror too. More FUN factor than CS or DOD but it's still a game you have to work hard at to play.

That's all I can say, really. SOF2 is just plain FUN in a world where 1st person shooters stopped being FUN a while ago. I really haven't had this kind of enjoyment since the original Quake2 CTF.

There is SOME weapon physics, which is good, but it's never so over-bearing that it gets in the way. That's the problem I have with DOD and CS right now. Weapon physics accuracy is admirable, but when it gets in the way of your enjoyment then it's too much. Do I really CARE if an AK47 shoots EXACTLY like it does in real life? If it did, most of us probably couldn't hit anything at 5 yards so who cares?

SOF2 is very "tight" right out of the box. The maps are beautifully balanced and if the rocket launcher and grenade launcher is disabled (as it generally is in all CTF servers) then the weapon balance is magnificent.

The way night vision and thermal goggles are implemented is also nice - they're VERY cool on the foggy maps.

It's also novel that some maps are randomly generated (not all of them - the maps that begin with "RMG" are random maps - these are all outdoor maps with mountains). I like playing on random map servers - keeps the game from being predictable.

I also think that the flame effects (from the incendiary grenades) is better done that the fire in Return to Castle Wolfenstein (and it's fun setting someone on fire).

The gore factor, frankly, in multiplayer is almost unnoticeable. There's just no time to admire the gore (if that's what you want to call it) in the havoc of a multiplayer game, other than once in a while you're rewarded with an exploding head for a perfect head shot. You could turn off the gore entirely and the game would still be great.

I also like the player movement speed. Very reminiscent of Quake1 and ActionQuake2. Is it realistic? No. Is it FUN? Hell yes! Going back to DOD feels like I'm walking through 3 foot deep wet cement.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Absolut Talent
Almighty Member

Post by Absolut Talent »

Originally posted by FlyingPenguin
ABSOLUT: It may just not be for you, but I urge you to try multiplayer CTF for a while before passing final judgement. Forget the solo game, that's not where it's at.

Yes it really doesn't do anything "new" - a lot of reviews are saying that. What it DOES do is everything "right". When was the last time a friggin' first person shooter worked PERFECTLY in multiplayer on the internet RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX?
well the last few FPS I bought were

GR-DS
GR
UT
CS
Tribes2

GR and DS worked right out of the box, no probs
UT I bought, but its been out soo long that all the bugs were worked out already
I bought the CS retail which is version 1.0, it worked (although laggy)
and Tribes 2 worked when it came out. I bought it AS SOON as my store recieved it (when I worked at BBY, and still preordered it) The games and servers were there, it was the rest of the online interface that didnt work.

that about sums up my last 2 years with buying FPS. Everything else was ISOed and I never bought it cause I didnt care for it
dogsguts
Goober Member

Post by dogsguts »

Well I bought it...............and my lowly P3 700 geforce2 mx 200 512 mb.........runs it like a chaff cutter so choppy...............what a lousy frame rate..........
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

DOGSGUTS: I've run it on a P3 700 with a GF1 DDR and got it to run very well. What settings are you using?

With a GF2 MX I wouldn't try to run it at over 640x480. In the video settings menu I'd use the "Fastest" default settings.

Absolut Talent
Almighty Member

Post by Absolut Talent »

Originally posted by dogsguts
Well I bought it...............and my lowly P3 700 geforce2 mx 200 512 mb.........runs it like a chaff cutter so choppy...............what a lousy frame rate..........
I have tried it on my xp1800 gf2mx200 and 384ddr- it runs GREAT at 1024x768x32bit
I have tried it on my pent3 700 voodoo4 4500pci and 384 pc133- it runs great at 800x600x16bit

Make sure you have the latest drivers and dx8.1. Then fool around with the graphic settings a bit. You shouldnt turn every option up to highest setting, try for mid for most, low on some of the little things like shell casing options and dead body
dogsguts
Goober Member

Post by dogsguts »

Thanks for the advice guys, have tried lowering graphics, have dx 8.1 off the SOF cd......will update my nvidia drivers for ge force 2 and see if that helps.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well, while it's not dominating every waking hour I'm STILL playing this game and enjoying the hell out of it.

I did do a marathon 5 hours of DOD the other night, but then I got the itch for more SOF2 CTF goodness.

I'm starting to prefer the random generated maps too. Keeps things from getting predictable.