Steam: Gamers abandoning Windows 10 in huge numbers (not what it seems)

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Steam: Gamers abandoning Windows 10 in huge numbers (not what it seems)

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Looks like there's a LOT of new Chinese gamers, and they're all running WIndows 7...
The latest stats from Steam show Windows 10 shedding a massive 17.38 percentage points, to give it 28.6 percent share. (The 64-bit version accounts for 28.23 percent, and the 32-bit version adds a tiny 0.37 percent).

Meanwhile, Windows 7 has gained a whopping 21.47 percentage points in the same month, climbing to 65.46 percent (63.60 percent for the 64-bit build, and 1.86 percent for the 32-bit edition).

You could be forgiven for thinking that Steam has made a mistake here, or that gamers are turning their backs on Windows 10 in huge numbers, but it seems likely that at least a sizable portion of the change can be attributed to China's influence.

According to the Language section of Steam’s survey, Simplified Chinese surged 26.83 percentage points to 56.37 percent in October, while English fell 13.40 percentage points to 21.24 percent. It seems reasonable, therefore, to assume that Chinese gamers running Windows 7 are responsible for much of the shift we’re seeing here. There's no official word from Steam on this yet.

It will be interesting to see what next month’s figures show, and whether this is a blip, or part of a larger trend.
https://betanews.com/2017/11/03/steam-g ... e-numbers/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Re: Steam: Gamers abandoning Windows 10 in huge numbers (not what it seems)

Post by Err »

This is probably due to PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. There's a huge Chinese player base.