Astroneer Update

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Astroneer Update

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Started playing Astroneer again after a long hiatus. They added a LOT of new features in the latest Research Update, and even more coming Q1 2018.

Anyone want to try multiplayer? It's supposed to work better now.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Re: Astroneer Update

Post by Genom »

I havent played since we all got bored, so I am game. I'll hit you up on Steam if If I see you tomorrow.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I'm game. I really like Astroneer. I ran a trainer for unlimited fuel so I could just explore a bunch of different worlds. I was curious to just planet hop. ;)
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Are there more now than the 4-5 it had originally?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I think it's still 4. I have a COD Zombies game at 10pm, but I'll be free before that tonight.

Played around a bit with it last night. They really overhauled the research system. You research objects which now takes several minutes and more power - and power must be constant. So your first priority is to build an organic generator and then harvest LOTS of organics for fuel. If you run out of power, the research machine stops and waits for more. There's a progress bar to let you know how much time is remaining for the research. You earn research "bytes" that you can spend on learning how to print new things.

I couldn't craft tethers last night, so I was wondering if I needed to research them first, but people are saying you should be able to craft them right after you craft the organic generator.

However I saw tethers listed in the research catalog for 45 bytes, so now I'm perplexed. Will start a new game and try again.

Here's a summary of the changes in this big update:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/361420
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Cool. I'll have to mess with it.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Genom and I tried it tonight. Multiplayer is a lot better, although I had an issue where I couldn't pickup tethers and put them back in my backpack (works fine in solo mode). New research system is interesting.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Damn. I missed out.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Up for some more tonight.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Ok, I finally got around to figuring out the soil extractor. This is cool. It can extract almost any resource from soil. It requires 8 canisters of soil which you carry in your backpack, and fill up when you dig soil with your digging tool. You pour them in one at a time so you can carry as many or few as you want - I've been carrying 4 soil canisters so I only have to make two trips to dig soil.

The trick is you need to have ONE of whatever you want to extract because it acts more like a cloning machine. You put a sample of what you want in there, then pour in 8 canisters worth of soil, then push the button.

Common resources (organics, resin, compound) you can get 8 of from each clone. The common minerals like laterite or malachite you get 4. Coal you get 2. The rare stuff like lithium or titanium you only get 1, but still worth it if you have adequate power.

You also need to use the soil canisters to use the flatten or fill function of the digging tool. No free soil anymore.

https://astroneer.gamepedia.com/Mineral_Extractor

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Yeah, I started a new game yesterday because the one we played I forgot you run of space for building if you dont do the little hub/extenders. New world has almost no ships but found 1 of everything except coal so far, so building is coming along.

Will say, medium batteries not as good as they used to be. That or the research platform sucks a ton of juice.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The research platform is weird in that it uses constant power instead of having it's own internal battery that charges up like the other platforms.

Took me a while to figure out the power meter on the research platform display. Anything over the line is unneeded power. That's why connecting more than two small generators makes no difference. I seem to run mine just fine off a couple of small wind turbines and a couple of small solar dishes. I have a big solar dish and a battery on the hubs, and it'll draw from that if it needs to.

Yeah, I too almost forgot about keeping a hub open and nearly capped all of them off.

Found a large shiny marble ball last night in a cave. Can't research it but it plugged it into a hub as a display piece. Very pretty.

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

I've just gathered a pile of research blobs and am saving up for the spaceship and fuel refinery now. Have a medium rover to bounce around on, but sucks that I cant carry research blobs on it so I have a few beacons scattered about now. I am assuming shit from other biomes will be worth the research, but we shall see if I can find them again with a big rover.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Bob - Got home ridiculously late. We'll have to hook up and play. Maybe 3 of us? ;)
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Any time