Revisting a classic: The Max Payne series

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Revisting a classic: The Max Payne series

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Just read an article in Kotaku where someone revisited the Max Payne series, and it reminded me how much I enjoyed the first two games. I don't think I ever played the 3rd.

All available on Steam for cheap. I'd avoid the bundle of all three since it comes with DLCs that are for multiplayer and costs too much. Better deal to buy the 1 & 2 bundle and the 3rd game alone. On sale right now will all set you back around 12 bucks.

Bullet time!

Max Payne Still Holds Up
https://kotaku.com/max-payne-is-still-a ... 1828389169
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Revisting a classic: The Max Payne series

Post by FlyingPenguin »

FYI Payne 1 & 2 might have issues under Win8/10 although there's a fix here (for Payne 1 at least) - it's an unofficial patch that fixes a lot of issues.: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1184013727

Forums say that it generally works out of the box on NVidia video cards but AMD and Intel can be problematic. You can google for solutions, and you always have the option for a refund if it doesn't work.

Going to mess around with this after dinner.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Game starts fine on my system with an NVidia card, but no audio. Installed the patch I linked to above, and that fixed it. Also fixed the aspect ratio for modern wide screen monitors. Game did scale up to my full resolution (3440x1440) natively.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Crashed at the start of the 2nd chapter. Looks like the video patch for wide screen aspect ratios causes an fov error when that trippy 'nightmare' scene plays out at the beginning of the chapter. I temporarily disabled it by renaming the two video patch files.

Gameplay is otherwise excellent.

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I remember playing through the demo of the first one like 4 times and enjoying it. Just never got around to buying it.