Ars Technica: My confusing, 10-day journey to getting a UWP game to work on Windows 10

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Ars Technica: My confusing, 10-day journey to getting a UWP game to work on Windows 10

Post by FlyingPenguin »

One of the many reasons I refuse to install games from the Windows Store. The DRM is so cumbersome that you can't even access the folder where the game is stored! WTF?

If it's ain't on Steam, GoG, or one of the other gaming services, I don't want it. Only exception is some casual game I play on my Surface tablet since there's no practical way to play a game in tablet mode on Win10 unless it's a UWP app.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/10/ ... indows-10/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Re: Ars Technica: My confusing, 10-day journey to getting a UWP game to work on Windows 10

Post by Err »

In the troubleshooting process that followed, my assigned engineer had me take these steps:

Reset the Windows Store's cache via the "wsreset.exe" command
Reproduce the error (of trying to download the game, only to have it fail), and run the wscollect.exe command, which created a *.cab file
Open Windows PowerShell as an Administrator and poke at the FH3 executable with a "get-appxpackage" prompt
Poke at a pair of possible installation entries in that same Powershell with a "remove-appxpackage" prompt
Search for an "AppxManifest.xml" file, then copy it into a requested folder with a lengthy gibberish name
Fail to do so, because I was unable to peek into the protected WindowsApp folder as requested; instead, I received this error: "this access control entry is corrupt"
Load Windows' command prompt as an administrator and try to manually locate the folder in question (which also failed)
This sounds like a nightmare. It would be easier to get a refund and then buy an Xbox. I have had issues with Steam and GOG's apps but the resolution usually involves deleting a file and reinstalling the app. Oddly enough I haven't had issues with EA's Origin or Ubisoft's useless app.

I refuse to use the Windows store. It's storefront is a mess. I was interested in Gears of War 4 a couple of years ago so I went to their store and then to the games section. This game had just came out but yet I had to search for it to find it.

I've been purchasing more games on GOG than Steam lately unless there is a great sale. https://jastusa.com is a good website for purchasing DRM free VN's like Steins;Gate and uncensored hentai.