Anyone playing COD Black Ops 4?

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Anyone playing COD Black Ops 4?

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Not into public matches with random trolls. Love the new Zombie mode.

My BattleNet tag is FlyinPenguin
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

BlueWeasel

Re: Anyone playing COD Black Ops 4?

Post by BlueWeasel »

I really want to pick it up but haven't yet. COD seems to be getting faster and faster, I'm getting older, and my reaction time is getting slower.

Do you like it so far?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Keep in mind I mainly play private matches with friends and bots, although I have played a lot of public games to get the feel for it (I don't really like playing with children, cheaters and trolls though). I also like to play Zombies and I like what they've done with that.

I'll paste a bunch of observations I've been emailing to friends:

First off, this is NOT available on Steam. You have to buy it from Blizzard and use their BattleNet service. On the flip side BattleNet is pretty damn smooth and seamless - a nice clone of Steam.

I've gotta say I love the idea of a zombie map on the Titanic, and it looks awesome. Actually ALL the Zombie maps (there's 4 if you buy the digital deluxe version) are awesome and HUGE. Quick tour of the Titanic map (Voyage of Despair) here: https://youtu.be/13CdO-b6dMc

There's now difficulty modes in the standard zombies game, and there's a completely customizable gameplay "mutators" mode that can let you tweak everything. For instance you can give yourself extra money and health at the start of the game.

This video author says "The implementation of custom mutations is huge for re-playablity. It gives you the freedom to make the game as easy or as hard as you want."

Overview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG6qXneBXDA

Detailed mutation rules listed here: https://youtu.be/RB4dc3-ErdQ

You can do things like adjust your starting money, starting health, health regen speed, have kills give you health, disable the dog and other special rounds, start the game with the power on, have ALL the mystery boxes on all the time, have the Pack-A-Punch on at the beginning, adjust zombie min & max speed, disable zombie types you don't like. Oh and my fav: KEEP YOUR WEAPONS AFTER DEATH.

Also (and this is new) you can play Zombies with Bots. So playing solo isn't so bad anymore, and the bots play very well.

Regular multiplayer is good. Nice maps. Setup for a private match with bots is pretty much the same as previous games. Bots play very well. The new large maps work better than the 3 remakes of older (and smaller) maps. A couple of new multiplayer modes that are good like Control and Heist.

There are reports on gaming news sites that the tick rate on multiplayer servers is lower than the beta (20 Hz compared to 60 Hz) but I haven't noticed any problems. Online multiplayer seems pretty smooth and no hit box issues.

I'm getting 85+ FPS right out of the box at 3440x1440 on a GTX1080 with the default graphics settings. Since my monitor has a 100 Hz refresh I'm good with that and it feels smooth.

Black Out, which is their version of Battle Royale, is actually quite good. This mode is not really my thing, but I find it much easier to jump into in this game than Fortnite. There's less rummaging around. If you land near any buildings you'll find plenty of weapons and med packs and can get right into the action.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I haven't played COD since 2 but after watching a stream the other night showing off the different modes, Zombie co-op mode and the Battle Royale mode both looked very good and fleshed out.
BlueWeasel

Post by BlueWeasel »

I loved the original Call of Duty, COD2, and the first modern warfare. My problem is the games seem to be getting faster while I'm getting older and slower.

I'm hesitant to pick it up because of that and also because the PC version will likely be dead in a few months, short of TDM and Blackout modes.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Honestly I play COD online very little nowadays. Too many cheaters and too many trolls. There's a bunch of us that get together on Wednesday nights and play COD games but we play multiplayer custom games against bots. The Bots are very good in COD games. Currently were playing Call of Duty World War 2 or Black Ops 3 Zombies. I'm the first sucker so far to have bought Black Ops 4.

Black Ops 3 Zombies also had customizable settings so you can change the game dramatically and there's lots of custom maps available with buyable endings. The stock maps are too damn hard.

The rest of the time I play co-op games. I prefer Co-op - less drama, less cheating. I play a lot of Killing Floor 2. Maybe too much. Steam tells me I've got 1400 hours into the game. :)

BlueWeasel

Post by BlueWeasel »

You may have talked me into getting B04. I've got WW2 I can reinstall now. What time do you normally play on Wednesdays?

I enjoy co-op but got burned out with KF2. Any other co-op games you play?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You might want to revisit KF2 if it's been a while. Endless mode is a lot of fun, and they're running the Halloween theme right now. They've also added the ability to prestige perks.

We usually start playing around 10pm EST. Lately though, one of us leaves around 11pm and we usually switch to KF2 after that but we play it by ear.

I'll PM you my Teamspeak server and Steam info.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Looks like the BO4 servers are running at 64Hz tick rate again.

Black Ops 4 Multiplayer servers appear to be running at 64Hz as of Oct. 27th
https://charlieintel.com/2018/10/27/bla ... -oct-27th/