Finished my retro gaming PC

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
Executioner
Life Member

Finished my retro gaming PC

Post by Executioner »

I started this simple project last month, and now with 3 weeks off from work, I finished it this morning. I'm using Flying Penguin's motherboard he sent me about a year ago. It's a Asus P5B-E with Core 2 Quad Q6600. Came with a Radeon HD 5570 and 4 gigs of ram. For my XP build, I only need 2 gigs, so I removed the remaining sticks and left only 1 stick in. After installing XP, I used a registry hack to get any updates that were missing. I had an old WD 150GB Raptor hard drive used for boot, and a WD 500 GB hard drive for all the games to run on. I also added a USB3 add-on card so I could make an image of each drive.

On Craigslist, I found a guy that use to sell PC parts from 15/20 years ago. He had several brand new cases that he wanted to get rid of since they have been in his garage and was tired of looking at them. So for $20 each, I got a new case with a power supply. The only issue with the power supply is it was a 20 pin only, so I had to buy an adapter for it so it would support 24 pins. Adapter was cheap at $10. I installed a CD-RW drive, and a 3 1/2 inch floppy drive from some of my old stuff I had in storage.

I then installed ~20 old retro type games from the day before Steam. Some of the games required a patch to prevent the game from asking for the CD. Since the PC is not connected to the internet, there is no AV installed. Most of the games that were installed run very fast with maximum video settings. I tested each game to make sure it would work with each patch. Here are those installed games:
Ultimate DOOM - includes the original DOOM, DOOM2, Hexen
DOOM3
Half Life
Half Life 2
Quake
Quake 2
Quake 3 Arena
Quake 4
Far Cry
Far Cry2
Painkiller
Serious Sam 2
Serious Sam 3
Duke Nukem 3D (has patch for modern hardware)
Wolfenstein
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Atari Arcade Hits
Diablo
Diablo II
Warcraft Orcs and Humans
Warcraft 2
Warcraft 3
Left for Dead
Star Craft
Call of Juarez
F.E.A.R.
Fallout 3

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Finished my retro gaming PC

Post by Losbot »

I'm having flashbacks.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Still grabbing more games from a special web site I found. I ran them all through Malwarebytes and ESET Internet Security and they are all clean. I did up some to the hub.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

A WHITE DVD!!!! :)
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Very Nice.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

FlyingPenguin wrote:A WHITE DVD!!!! :)
Yeah I did not have a silver one. This is my first silver case. I normally get only black, but since the front has a cover, you normally don't see the white DVD and floppy. Up coming games to be added:
Halo
Crysis Warhead
Call of Duty 1
Sniper Elite
Star Wars Rouge Squadron
The Punisher
Terminator Salvation
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

LOL, that is my retro dream PC.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Crysis might be fun to play again, now that it doesn't tax your graphics.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

More:
Ghostbusters
Call of Duty 1
Crysis 2
Prey
Terminator Salvation
StarWars Rogue Squadron
BioShock
The Punisher
Sniper Elite 2
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Just going to throw it out there, Ghostbusters was kinda crappy. One of the few games I stopped part way through.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

normalicy wrote:Just going to throw it out there, Ghostbusters was kinda crappy. One of the few games I stopped part way through.
Really? I never played it. If it's crap, I'll remove it. The demo looked okay.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Executioner wrote:
normalicy wrote:Just going to throw it out there, Ghostbusters was kinda crappy. One of the few games I stopped part way through.
Really? I never played it. If it's crap, I'll remove it. The demo looked okay.
You may like it better than I did, but it was a port from a console and it just didn't control well.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Is the Ghostbusters game you downloaded the 2009 Atari version? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbust ... Video_Game

If so, normalicy is right. The gameplay isn't very good. It's very repetitive. However, most of the actors from the original films voice their roles. The story itself in the game is what I'd like to have seen in a 3rd Ghostbusters movie. I played through it and the end boss was a nightmare to fight. The game drops frames like mad and you end up fighting at 10 FPS. I got lucky and managed to get through it. It was an awful port overall.

If you can put up with the gameplay, the story is worth it. If you don't want to bother, just search youtube for a cut-scene compilation.

This is a fun Easter egg. I think this was the ending screen to the NES version:

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

I gotta ask, why go down to 2GB if you already had the RAM and it's not likely useful for anything else? 32bit XP will address 3.3GB, so may as well leave it in.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Genom wrote:I gotta ask, why go down to 2GB if you already had the RAM and it's not likely useful for anything else? 32bit XP will address 3.3GB, so may as well leave it in.
I left 4 in there, but XP would not boot. Wait...if I remember correctly, there is a setting in the BIOS for memory remapping. I'll disable it so it will see only 3GB. That was the way I got it from Bob. When I first booted it up, it saw only 3 GB total, even though there was 4 installed.