Dusk mini-review

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Dusk mini-review

Post by FlyingPenguin »

This is a "throw back" retro FPS in the look and feel of Quake. It's getting rave reviews for it's tight controls, excellent and FAST gameplay and great retro feel.

89% on Metacritic: https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dusk

I just played the first episode and it's VERY reminiscent of Quake gameplay. Wicked fast. There's even jump pads (later in the game - they show it in the review video below). There's secrets you need to find (some required some just bonuses) like hidden switches and secret caches and secret rooms. You need to explore everywhere (very much like a Doom or Quake map). OH most important: it has the ability to save the game anywhere and save multiple game points.

Even though you buy it and install it (initially) through Steam it DOES NOT require Steam to run. It's DRM free and you can just copy the installed folder to any PC and run the game's executable. I just tested that - copied the folder to another PC that didn't have Steam running.

It even supports multiplayer with a separate "Duskworld" which is a nod to the original Quakeworld multiplayer client.

Specs are fairly light - it says it will run on a Geforce 9800GT. Sorry Exec - it requires a 64bit version of Windows so it won't run on our Retro XP boxes.

I'd say it's well worth it for 20 bucks for some great Quake-style multiplayer fun.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/519860/DUSK/

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Dusk mini-review

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I've gotten to Ep1 Map5 and so far it's been a riot. You can change difficulty on the fly which I wound up doing. The middle difficulty wasn't challenging enough for me.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "