New noclip documentary: The Untold Story Behind Astroneer's Difficult Development

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

New noclip documentary: The Untold Story Behind Astroneer's Difficult Development

Post by FlyingPenguin »

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: New noclip documentary: The Untold Story Behind Astroneer's Difficult Development

Post by Losbot »

Sad.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: New noclip documentary: The Untold Story Behind Astroneer's Difficult Development

Post by Losbot »

Just fired this up again and it REALLY feels much more complete. Also everything has been changed. Very challenging but do-able. If you have the game, take a fresh look at it. I really like what they've done to it.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Since talking with you the other night, I fired it up tonight. I can't believe how much has changed and how polished it is. I played the tutorial, which I didn't think I needed, but it did fill me in on a lot of new things.

I like that there's a creative game now if you just want to build stuff.

Okay, back at it.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by how "complete" the game looks now. Lots more fun and you'll want to have the wiki handy to reference, as you'll need to know which other planets provide other resources.
https://astroneer.gamepedia.com/Astroneer_Wiki
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay. Dove into it last night thinking I'd spend a couple of hours on it... SEVEN HOURS LATER... it's three in the morning. Like Minecraft days, I just totally lost track of time. "I just need to got down in the cavern for one more load!"

Amazingly polished compared to the last time I played it. I appreciate the new small tractor you can build early instead of having to waiti for the rover. Vehicle handling is so much better too.

Massive improvement of the smoothing tool. Sure makes it easy to build ramps going down in the caverns now.

And caverns are stunningly beautiful and interesting as hell with all the goodies scattered around.

Oh and I don't know when they added this feature but I love the fact that you can now carry a large item in your arms, instead of holding it out ahead of you. Was it always like this and I never knew? You can walk so much faster and not get hung up on things.

One thing that hasn't changed is resource storage. Is there something I'm missing? The storage units just seem to be a total waste of time, resources and space. I still just drill some holes in the ground and toss all my resources in them.

I wonder what coop is like? If you see me online, give me a holler and we can try it out.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I just googled around, and there's really no down side to using holes for storage - or just piling them on the surface now that they have eliminated (yea!) sand storms.

Later, when you're more worried about the looks of your base, and you have access to iron, there's huge 80 slot storage units you can build.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

The storage units come in handy when you head to another planet. You can build the atmospheric device and place it on a large platform with the storage silos. Load that up so it can just run and you leave. When you come back, it'll have a crap-ton of gas containers. Look in the wiki for the atmospheric device and it's explained down below. ;)
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yea! I finally found some Malachite. Flood lights baby!

I love the look of the caverns now.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Make a work light and place it up top on your backpack. It'll light up the area. ;)
Also seems to run nonstop with consuming your own battery.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah, I knew about the worklight from the last build I played. I like the new flood lights too. Put two of them on the front of my large rover last night. And a worklight on the back. Really lights up the area.

Finally made it to the nearby moon, Desolo, with a small shuttle and setup a Tungsten mine there.

I figured out how to use extenders to setup a solar panel farm above my main cavern on the first planet, and run the cables using extenders down a small tunnel to a large platform setup with a research module and, eventually, a soil extractor. At night I have wind vanes in the tunnel to keep the platform running.

FINALLY I can afford to build the large storage modules and start laying things out neatly at my base.

My next trip is to go to Novus. I need a lithium mine real bad.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Oh wow, this game is so much deeper and complex now. You gotta keep notes of what you're working towards and where equipment is stashed.

So another 6+ hours last night.

Went to Novus in a medium shuttle. Landing near the alien artifact as forums recommend to make it easy to open them later.

I lucked out and found a large busted up solar array on top of a mountain. Since I didn't have a winch to drag it, I used a bunch of extenders to bring a power line down to the base of the mountain and setup my equipment there. I mined a ton of Hematite which I really need bad, and setup methane extraction which I also need. Couldn't find any Lithium - guess I'm not deep enough. Instead of digging deeper I think I'll go to the planet Vesania next, since Lithium is the primary resource there.

My Novus base:

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Yeah, definitely need to keep notes. I've got small bases set up on about 4 planets and just bring stuff back to my main. The game has A LOT going on but it's fun. I've been enjoying it.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well, I've got tons of bytes and I have RTGs now and build 15 of them (damn those are tedious to build). I have swept the surface of the home planet and most of my main caverns, clean of wreckage for scrap, and I have a ton of scrap. I have a small base on all the planets except Glacio. There's nothing on Glacio I need - no rare gasses and I can get Titanium from the trading platform.

I was wondering if I'd lose interest now, but I got obsessed with reaching the core of Sylva which was harder than I thought it would be. Easy to lose your down orientation that deep. Finally found it and activated it and took the extra glyph to the orbital station so that's one down.

I put together a large shuttle for a trip to Glacio. Even though I don't need anything there, if I'm going to try to complete the teleport network, I'll need a base there. Here's a screenshot of my loaded shuttle, ready to depart for Glacio. Love those storage silos!

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

The game is so damn addictive. I'm always tinkering.