MS Flight Simulator 4K gameplay trailer

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: MS Flight Simulator 4K gameplay trailer

Post by Losbot »

Damn. I had submitted my request to take part in the beta. Never heard back. Can't wait.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'm also happy to hear it will be available through Steam. Was not looking forward to futzing around with the Microsoft Store.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

For VR, would the graphics processing take place on the headset or would you still need a beefy video card? I'm curious because if you don't need a 2080, a headset and flight stick would be the way to go with this game.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Graphics are done on the video card, and you do need something beefy because you're essentially running a 2160×1200 display (1080×1200 per eye) for a Vive or 2880 x 1600 (1400 x 1600 per eye) for a Vive Pro, as an example. Minimum card requirement for the Vive Pro is a GTX 1070, but I'm guessing it's not going to look all that good.

Just happen to have the Vive specs in front of me, but I'm sure the SteamVR is similar. Most require a DisplayPort connector, although all high end cards have those now, and sometimes more than one.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

FlyingPenguin wrote:I'm also happy to hear it will be available through Steam. Was not looking forward to futzing around with the Microsoft Store.
:said:

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I see it's already on Steam's pre-order.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'll wait for user reviews.

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Releases tomorrow. Cant wait to buzz my own house, or a close approximation thereof.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Welp, game is launch able now, but on first run it must grab it's main dataset, cause the install was like 500MB, and now I am staring at a loading bar probably being hit by a few thousand people and it aint moving.

*App crashed, restarted and now it's downloading it's 90GB dataset. Very slowly.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Ok. Game looks and sounds amazing. And it is buggy as fuckall. Did 4-5 training scenarios last night, and it had serious bugs in each one.

Each training scenario focuses on a few core concepts, such as reading your instrument panel, or basic fly level, turn, use flaps/throttle, etc. So I had the instrument panel freeze. Rest of the game is running. I had trim just max out for no reason a couple times. Couple times I was able to finish ok, other times the plane just nose dived for no reason, and I had to restart the scenario.

But man is it pretty!
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Looks like the reviews regarding the game are mostly positive. Unfortunately, the overall rating is not so positive because everyone is pissed off about the installation. You DL a 500MB launcher from Steam, which then downloads the 90GB game from MS. Problem is that you have to stay logged in to Steam and all that time counts towards game playing (while downloading) so if you don't like that game, the timer has ticked away and you can't get a refund. Pretty dumb AF but that's because of the way they set this crap up.

Most of the reviews for the actual game-play though are positive ones. MS just needs to address some bugs but didn't you all expect it to be buggy, since it's Microsoft?

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Yeah, I expected some wonkyness, and I knew I was gonna get bit buying early, but I am ok with it. I cant imagine this doesn't get the most annoying bugs fixed pretty quickly, but meanwhile, it's still pretty as fuck. I did get some choppy fps when I was trying to find my house because the area has a dense tree cover, but otherwise, it's all been very smooth and pleasant.

I will say having taken 2 flying lessons with my nephew, I dont recall the Cesna being so twitchy in the air, but that's it. Need to start trying out some of the other planes.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

So I thought "what the hell" and bought it. I spent a good hour trying to get it installed and got nowhere. Was taking FOREVER to download and then it would get stuck. Must have closed it and re-tried installing like 8 times. I finally got frustrated, gave up and got a refund from Steam. I'll wait a little while for things to settle down.

Also, I didn't like that I had to link it to a Microsoft account. I wish they would have kept it like the previous versions where you don't need to log into anything and you only needed the Internet if you wanted real-time weather or play with others.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Valve says the time it takes to download Microsoft Flight Simulator won't affect refund requests
https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-says-the- ... -requests/