SnowRunner released on Epic store

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: SnowRunner released on Epic store

Post by FlyingPenguin »

OH if you guys haven't figured it out yet, no need to work in the dark. Again, we could use a good FAQ or Wiki. Bring up the map and use the T key to skip time. Skip until 6am and when it gets dark, skip again.

Took me forever to figure that out.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The White Western Star 4964 is a really good truck when you get it. I think I found it on the 2nd Michigan Map (the Dam map). It's not an off-road truck, but it has a monstrous amount of torque and if you slap some off-road tires on it, it can pretty much power through anything in AWD.

I haven't got a locked diff option for it yet (if there is one) but even without it I've forded the river with it on the first map (albeit very slowly in low gear). It can amintain speed without getting hard to handle, on rutted roads. Most of the time I don't even need AWD which saves some fuel. Also has a bigger tank than the Paystar with similar mileage.

I put the tractor trailer attachment on it for the missions requiring me to fetch semi-trailers. It's handles the steep roads, carrying a heavy load, faster and better than the Paystar, so I'm going to keep upgrading it to use as my main hauler.

And hauling a flat bed semi-trailer you can carry 4 freight instead of 2.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Ok, I've finished all the missions in the first Michigan map. Moving on to the ones in the Dam map. Loading my trucks up with supplies I'll need for those missions since most factories and warehouses seem to be in the first map. I'm finding it useful to make a list of stuff I need for multiple missions and then load it up on different trucks to take over to the dam area. Even if I'm not going to use it right away, I can always leave it on a trailer, and since both my trucks have loading cranes it's easy to move things around.

I wanted to convince myself that the White Western Star 4964 really can power through most anything, despite not being an off-road truck. So here it is taking that really nasty road between the garage and the warehouse on the east side of the first map. Normally I go around the long way to avoid this patch since even the Paystar can get stuck here. Nasty combination of deep mud AND a steep hill.

I've got a full size semi flat bed trailer connected but no load. Never used the winch. This is with the higher suspension, and all terrain tires.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Oh, and if you haven't figured it out yet, you can accept "Contracts" from the menu, and you usually have to accept them before they can be completed.

"Tasks", however, need to be accepted by parking in the starting location and using the view task button. If you don't, even if you complete the task, it won't give you credit until you go back and accept it. I forgot to accept the Drowned Truck task, and it just sat there at the farm until I checked some Reddit forums and found a lot of people bitching about it. Had to go back to where it was stuck originally and accept the task.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Got tired of trying to figure out what the resource icons represent as there is no description next to them when you click on a vehicle on the map and it shows what they're carrying. So I made a cheat sheet of the icons I've seen so far:

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Getting better at this. It's all about resource management. No sense driving totally across the map through mud and muck to only deliver half of what needs to be dropped off. The semi flat bed holds 5 standard slots of resources (some resources like metal planks and concrete slabs use 2 slots). So that's my go-to delivery vehicle. I use the Paystar for getting to mountain goat locations like the quarry in the 2nd Michigan map (the quarry is a scary drive - easy to flip over), but it only has 2 resource slots and hauling a trailer isn't practical unless it's on relatively flat ground or highway (lets you carry 2 more resources).

I make notes of the resources for the next 2 or 3 contracts I want to do, and figure out the most efficient way to pickup resources and deliver them. Sometimes I use the small cranes to off-load cargo on the side of the road at a staging area, while I fetch more stuff, and then transfer it to another vehicle for final delivery.

I'm working on the 2nd Michigan map not (Dam map) and since there's not much gas around except near the tunnel, I have a couple of tankers placed along the main road across the rest of the map, to use as filling stations, and the Scout 800 with the roof rack works well as a mobile repair center.

Here's my little fleet all loaded up with resources from the first map, before setting off for the 2nd map.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Got tired of trying to figure out what the resource icons represent as there is no description next to them when you click on a vehicle on the map and it shows what they're carrying. So I made a cheat sheet of the icons I've seen so far:

Yes! Thank you!
------------------------------------------

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

So what's your ideal scout vehicle? The Khan is OK but I hate how it drives most of the time. Plus it tips fairly easy.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I've learned to love the Kahn, but I use it mainly for the "drive to an impossible location" challenges. In a jiffy, it also has an impressive amount of pulling power to get stuck vehicles out of the mud. I don't use automatic on the tranny - at least not on road surfaces. I have the Snowrunner tranny upgrade which gives me 3 low gears, and I find it quite drivable in 3rd gear without it getting away from me, and it keeps up a decent speed.

I primarily use the Scout 800 for actual scouting, with the roof rack for an extra 140L of fuel. I also usually tow the 900L scout tanker behind it for extended range, and as a refuel depot for other vehicles. The tanker also seems to help keep it from tipping over too easily as it is a bit top heavy, although not as bad as the Kahn.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Good info on this Reddit forum: https://www.reddit.com/r/snowrunner/

This Thread in particular has a lot of useful tips: https://www.reddit.com/r/snowrunner/com ... ns_thread/

I've picked up some useful tips on using the transmission. For instance I've ignored the H gear until now. It acts like 2nd gear and useful if you want more speed on a steep climb, but don't want it on automatic which may stall your momentum when it tries to shift.

Also I've ignored neutral until now, but some people say that in neutral there's more power for the winch.

Someone mentioned that the Paystar really is the best off-road truck for most of the game, until you can find or buy the Freightliner M915A1. At someone's suggestion I took off the raised suspension. It's not worth it - it just makes the Paystar tip over easier.

A long thread on trailers vs 5th wheels (semi trailers) confirms what I've already found on my own - that semi trailers, despite being larger, are much easier to handle and they're easier to haul through med. The only place they can be a problem is tight turns. Like a lot of people recommend, I've pretty much given up on trailers for cargo. I either use the semi trailer or just put it on a flat bed on the truck.

Also found these useful charts like an updated icon list that also shows how many of each item can fit into a single cargo slot.

Tire Grip Comparison Chart:

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Nice find.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I think it's interesting that the higher model number of a tire isn't necessarily better on mud.

FYI the Island map in Michigan is a bitch. No fuel and no garage. You have to bring everything with you. You can Recover but it takes you to the garage your vehicle is based at on another map.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Why not your closest garage? That's odd.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well, since you can put any vehicle in storage, and move it, I guess it doesn't matter.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Not too interested in mods myself at this point, but it looks like they're online: