SnowRunner released on Epic store

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: SnowRunner released on Epic store

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Drummond Island in Michigan also doesn't have a garage :(

If you look at the tiles for each area in the Global view, there's a garage icon in the lower left corner of each area. If it's crossed out there's no garage.

Drummond isn't too bad to get to - you just take the long windy road to the west end of the Dam map. From Drummond it's eventually easier to get to Island Lake via another tunnel (the road to Island Lake from the Dam is terrible and it's impassible with trailers).

There is a warehouse and a trailer store near the tunnel to Drummond on the Dam map, so you can get some supplies there and, if needed, you can buy a fuel tanker or repair trailer at the trailer store if needed.

At Drummond there's a repair trailer not to far in off the side of the road. I brought two fuel tankers with me and just parked them and the repair trailer at a major intersection to use as a repair/fuel depot.

I haven't tried it yet, but since you can buy/sell tankers at the trailer store, and when you buy them they are full of fuel (if I remember) then you could probably sell your tanker and buyt it back full. Will test that when I tap out one of my tankers.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

That squid is hilarious.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay, so I explored a lot of the Drummond Island map in Michigan, but the missions were getting to be a major bitch, and since there's no garage there, when I rolled over a couple of my vehicles and had to reset them back to the garage on the previous map, I decided to try my hand at the Alaska map.

Good news is that the first Alaska map is not too bad - especially if you're at least a level 10 as I am, and you've got good mud or all terrain tires on your trucks (you get access to tire chains at level 11 and I assume that will help too). The terrain has no cliffs and few steep mountains, and there's plenty of trees to use the winch on to get you out of trouble.

I've nearly scouted the entire first map with just the Scout 800, until I found the Hummer H2, which is a mission to tow it back to the garage for some, but you get to keep it when you're done. This is an awesome vehicle. Probably the best scout vehicle in the game according to Reddit threads. It comes with really good tires already, and if you found the Snowrunner tranny upgrade in Michigan, you can put that on it.

Right now I'm still exploring mainly, although I brought the trusty Paystar over to repair the pipeline that was blocking the road.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Liking Alaska a lot. Just make sure you get the right tires (use that chart I posted). Mud tires aren't good for Alaska, you want off-road. The off-road tires with the best mud & dirt traction are going to be too slick for asphalt, and the ice on the road will have you all over the place. You don't want any tire less than 1 traction on asphalt in Alaska.

The default Hummer tires, when you find the Hummer, are incredible. You can go totally off road with that thing and I have in order to fetch a couple of vehicles. No need to change them. On the big trucks I've found the OHD III or UOD I tires (depending on which your truck takes) are best.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I think I need to re-evaluate tires in Alaska then. I was all over the place.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah, that tire chart is a life saver. .2 might not seem like much of a difference but at .8 traction I was all over the place. at 1 traction, I had full control as long as I had AWD engaged. I rarely turn off AWD in Alaska, even on asphalt. The good thing is that on the first Alaska map there's plenty of gas stations, and you can always position big gas tanker anywhere you need them.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Just to show you what kind of a goat the Hummer H2 is, here's me climbing some very steep mountain sides with it to do the Powerline Check task in North Port Alaska.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay BIG tip that will make life easier - especially on maps that don't have garages. I didn't know this, but tripped across it while researching something else in a reddit post.

You can refill/restock any and all service trailers, fuel trailers etc including the hard body attached utility addons (eg: truck of roof duel/repair supplies on scouts) by driving through the rectangles at SERVICE HUBS. HUBS, NOT service SITES, big difference. This also repairs your truck 100%!

Before I figured this out I was restocking the scout repair supplies by going back to the garage (which is a BIG issue on maps that don't have one). And the way I was restocking service trailers for repair parts was to sell the trailer at the trailer store and then by it back.

This makes things so much easier. It's a pity there wasn't some tip about this in the tutorial.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

In the Alaska Mountain River map, you will find a Task to repair a Caterpillar 745c and return it to the lumber yard. Not a hard task, but even with my Scout 800's roof rack, it took three trips back and forth between the Service Hub and the Cat to fully repair it. I managed to tow it to the lumberyard with the little Scout 800, and once I completed the task I got to keep the Cat.

A lot of people on Reddit are complaining that there's only two addons for the Cat (a container carrier and a fuel tank) and you can't hitch a trailer to it, but as others pointed out, the Cat has incredible mud traction. It really can't get stuck in the mud, so it's really useful for towing other trucks out of thick mud, or towing trailers through mud that nothing else will get through. It has terrible traction on asphalt, though, so a little squirrely on the icy asphalt in Alaska.

I can see the Cat being very useful when I get around to going back to finish the ridiculously muddy Michigan missions. I put the fuel tanker on mine to also use it for refueling.

Rumor also has it that the publisher is going to release more addons later for all vehicles, including the Cat.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Just to show you what kind of a goat the Hummer H2 is, here's me climbing some very steep mountain sides with it to do the Powerline Check task in North Port Alaska.

Looked like the WINCH is the real GOAT. ;)

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well, the folks on reddit were right about the Cat 745c: it CAN pull ANYTHING out, or through the mud. Case in point, this video shows my solution to the rather challenging "Floating Drill" mission in North Port Alaska, where you have to haul a HUGE drill rig construction platform through the god awful mud bog on the south end of the map. Nothing I have can get through that mud without usually getting stuck, even without carrying a heavy load, and usually the winch doesn't help as anchor points are far apart and tend to pull you into worse situations.

There's an alternate route near the garage that avoids the mud, but it's a narrow, windy goat trail, and there's no way I'd be able to haul this trailer through it.

I used the Cat 745c to pull my Paystar 5070, which is in turn hitched to the drill rig construction platform, through the muck, slow and steady and I never needed to use the winch.

No wonder it can do this - in real life this thing is a beast. It's mainly designed for hauling rock from strip mines and has a cargo capacity of 45 tons! It dwarfs my Paystar.

https://www.cat.com/en_US/campaigns/npi ... Truck.html

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Good vehicle recommendations. I sent one of my scouts over to Russia just so I could by the Yar 87 scout so I can sell the Scout 800.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well good thing I experimented. Looks like the Cat 645c, with the "Container Carrier" can actually carry anything that fits in two cargo spaces. They must have fixed this since the original release. Makes it a much more useful vehicle. In the picture below I have medium pipes on it. With the articulated steering it can maneuver through some pretty tight mountain passes, despite it's bulk.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'm now a level 14. My current vehicles:

Hummer H2 & Russian Yak for scouts (the Yak is a goat, and it carries a large roof rack with 300 repair points and some 150 L of gas). You can buy the Yak whenever you're a high enough level, but you need to go to the Russian map to buy it, then you can take it anywhere. Get the extended winch when you can, and the advanced extended winch when you can.

I have the monstrous articulated Cat 745c, of course, mostly for pulling other trucks out of the muck (NOTE: There's a LOT of "vehicles stuck in the mud" missions in Russia - from my early scouting - so I suspect the Cat will come in handy there. Russia is a big, muddy shit-show. It makes Michigan look tame by comparison. It looks more like Vietnam rice patties in the monsoon season.

My two off-road trucks are the Royal BM17 which does a nice job, but it lacks a lockable diff. Despite that, when you find the upgraded engine for it, and put big mud tires on it, it's much better than the Paystar in most respects.

Then there's the Russian Voron AE-4380 which is a BEAST. Always AWD & locked Diff, monstrous horsepower & torque, and as a bonus, it's FAST. Sometimes too fast on Alaska's icy roads. This thing hasn't gotten stuck anywhere yet. You can buy it in Russia once you're a level 10 or 11 I think, for around 88 grand. I sold my Paystar for 85 grand to buy it.

I only use cargo cranes and the flat bed addon on my trucks mostly (I see no benefit in the side wall bed - it just makes it harder to crane cargo manually onto it). Trailers are too hard to pull over bad roads, and hard to control. I'd rather just do two trips with the same truck. Sometimes, if I know it's asphalt most of the way, and I need to haul a lot of items to one place, I might put a semi flatbed trailer (5 cargo slots!) on one of the trucks, but most of the time it's not worth it.

BTW concerning tires, once you're a high enough level to be able to get mud tires, don't waste your time and money on anything else. Just use that chart I posted to pick the best mud tire (I prefer max mud traction). The Hummer already comes with awesome tires and so does the Yak.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Mods, including new map campaigns, available at snowrunner.mod.io

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I put this game aside a while back because I'd done a lot of the missions, and the maps were getting boring.

I decided to get back into the game today, but wanted to see what was available for mods. In addition to a butt-load of custom equipment and vehicles, which you can optionally drive in a sandbox, there are also custom map campaigns.

This mod site was setup by the publisher and is integrated with the game. So all you have to do is sign up for a free account, link it to the game, and any mod you subscribe to shows up in the game's mod menu, and downloads from there.

A really nice looking map/campaign I'm exploring now is Meteor:
https://snowrunner.mod.io/meteor
The meteorite impact known as the Great Taymyr Impact destroyed one area of the Taymyr Peninsula in the early 19th century. The mysterious, radioactive meteorite has been lying in the soft soil of Taymyr ever since. Efforts by the Soviet military to find and lift it in the early 60s failed. Not much has changed in the area since then, only the nature has conquered the area - until now!

Help the Taiga Oil Company to develop the crater, build the meteor base and explore the many secrets and tasks around the crater! Collect samples, find more craters, expand the infrastructure and help the local people and companies in the area with their tasks.