SnowRunner released on Epic store

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: SnowRunner released on Epic store

Post by FlyingPenguin »

They either fixed the jerry can filling at the gas station, or else it was a glitch last time I couldn't fill it. Now when I go to a gas station with the roof gas cans and the small tanker, I can select any of them to fill.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:They either fixed the jerry can filling at the gas station, or else it was a glitch last time I couldn't fill it. Now when I go to a gas station with the roof gas cans and the small tanker, I can select any of them to fill.
I haven't played it enough to even know about gas cans lol. I was wondering if they had those in the game :)
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah, you can buy a roof rack for the Scout 800 with 140L of gas cans, and a ton of repair credits (250 I think?), and I think 2 or 3 spare tires. That's a lot of gas and repair. I use that, towing a scout gas tanker (900L of gas) as a service vehicle to fix or refill any of my other vehicles, or to repair the occasional wreck you're supposed to recover for missions. That highway truck I had to tow out in the previous video was completely broken down (all system stats were zero, tank empty, and it needed 6 tires) and it took two trips with the Scout 800 to completely repair it so I could get it out of the area it was in (if the vehicle you're towing has a working engine, it fires up to assist instead of being dead weight).

Repair and fuel tanks/cans are required by the time you get to the 2nd and 3rd Michigan maps. There's no gas station I've found on either of them yet, and the rougher terrain burns through gas, and easily damages vehicles. You REALLY notice suspension damage. Just 10% of suspension damage is enough to make the Scout 800 a LOT harder to manage on the hills.

You can outfit the Khan (if you got it with the DLC) with a roof rack too, but that thing is terribly top heavy to begin with, and the roof rack makes it ridiculously top heavy, and since it doesn't have a trailer hitch you can't use a fuel tanker to make it less likely to tip over.

The Chevy pickup has a smaller repair and fuel kit that can be installed in the bed, but it's not really worth it. The Scout is a much better vehicle. There's a scout service truck (I forget what it's called) that I haven't bothered with, but the description SEEMS to imply it has some built-in repair and refueling capability, and is rated pretty high as an all terrain vehicle with upgrades. Since there's no loss buy/selling vehicles (for now at least you can sell them for what you bought them for) I'll probably pick one up to see what it's like, and if it's any better than the Scout. This game REALLY needs a good wiki with detailed vehicle stats.

I use the Kahn with an upgraded engine and the Snowrunner drivetrain for scouting as it has good fuel economy, and can climb almost anything, and can usually get out of the worst mud. It can also pull almost anything out of the mud with an upgraded winch. It's impossibly skittish to drive on the open road in automatic transmission mode, but with the Snowrunner tranny I just drive it everywhere in 3rd low gear. Just be careful to only use the locked diff in 1st or 2nd low gear and immediately disable it if you get the flashing orange tranny warning. It's very easy to damage the tranny on the Kahn with the diff locked. In 3rd low, on level ground, you'll almost immediately damage it without any warning.

It is well worth finding that Snowrunner drivetrain upgrade as it can be installed in all the offroad vehicles, including the Paystar offroad heavy truck. It gives you three low gears.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

What do you use for a controller in this game?
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

XBox controller.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Steam Controller for me (emulating an Xbox controller), although I find navigating menus and picking winch connection locations easier with the mouse (point and click versus toggling through the the attachment points).

Plus there's some button conflicts that will force you to use the keyboard occasionally. The B button is used for a variety of things that can conflict. For instance B button is used for the parking braek (absolute necessity unless you want to see your vehicle to roll off a cliff) but it's also used to disconnect the winch. So sometimes you need to disengage the brake while the winch is attached and DOH! it releases the winch instead. So I've learned to use the SPACE key to unlock the brake in those situations.

You CAN play the game with just a mouse and keyboard (WASD for driving) but it won't give you anywhere near enough fine control for navigating torturous mountain trails.

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:You CAN play the game with just a mouse and keyboard (WASD for driving) but it won't give you anywhere near enough fine control for navigating torturous mountain trails.
ok, yea started playing with mouse and keyboard and it sucks, but I just pulled out my XBox controller. I had it stored from when I moved my office.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Man, I'm severely lacking in how to play the game. I just discovered that I can double click on any of my vehicles under Trucks & Trailers and instantly pop into the vehicle. Is there a good resource on the basics of the game?
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Is there even ONE half decent road in Michigan or Alaska?!?! FFS, every road sucks.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I'm so glad I put a stupid snorkel on my Scout. I actually like that Chevy, raised with large tires. Waded through the water nicely.

Here is the same place a few hours later for my elaborate (over the top because I wanted to play with the toys) rescue of two containers. LOL

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah, snorkel anything you can. I'm still waiting to qualify for one on the Paystar.

I've been sticking to Michigan so far, but I think I'm going to try Alaska for a change.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Yeah, snorkel anything you can. I'm still waiting to qualify for one on the Paystar.

I've been sticking to Michigan so far, but I think I'm going to try Alaska for a change.
I'm actually hating Alaska. I think I'm gonna go back to MI and finish up there.

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

So once I got settled in with my controller I tried doing some of the contracts/tasks. I wasted like 2 hours trying to complete some with the GMC MH9500 and finally gave up. I kept running to either mud or stuff blocking the roads that I needed to take care of first. So I switched over to the Marshal and I've been doing some discovery tasks and towing tasks with the winch. I find myself using the Recover option to teleport back to the garage (if I don't have any cargo) if that's closer to where I need to go to next. Any issues with what I'm doing? Recommendations?

Just returned the Drowned Heavy Truck with the Marshall, dam that was a pain in the ass! I did learn that you can transfer fuel from one vehicle to another.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The Kahn can tow almost anything, so yeah if that works use it. I've hauled fully loaded trailers with it.

However, you'll eventually need a good off-road big truck, and this is the way I did it. Not my idea, I found this on a Reddit thread.

There's something like 8 vehicles you can find in Michigan. I think there's 3 or 4 on the first map. Scout around until you find the ones on the first map. Do whatever missions you can to make some money, and when you have enough cash and sell value of vehicles to add up to $88K or so, sell them all except the Kahn and buy the Paystar 5070 offroad and stick a flat bed on the back of it (that might be an extra $4K). Right now (unless they change it later) you lose nothing selling a truck - the buy and sell price is the same, and you even get your money back for any upgrades installed on it. That Paystar - even stock - can swim or climb through almost anything in the first two maps, it can carry two cargo loads, and it can pull normal trailers with a hitch.

Keep an eye out for upgrades while you're scouting. In particular you're going to want the Snowrunner tranny upgrade which can be installed on practically all the vehicles and adds 3 low gears (I'm not sure but I THINK I found that on the first map). That and some all terrain tires, and that Paystar will do you well. That's my primary big truck right now. With a few upgrades on that Paystar I've forded the river in some places on the 2nd Michigan map that even the Kahn has a hard time with.

Later you can add the small crane to the Paystar for the missions that require you to pick up cargo.

I'm sure there are better off-road trucks available later, but that Paystar is awesome to start. In low gear with the diff locked (I don't remember if it came with the lockable diff or I upgraded it later), it climbs like a goat, slowly but surely.

You are also going to need at least one scout with some extra fuel. You can put a roof rack on the Kahn with some jerry cans and tools, but it makes it even more top heavy. As I mentioned previously, I prefer the Scout 800 with a roof rack. That gives you 140L of spare fuel (a little more than half a tank for the Paystar) and just resetting the Scout back to the garage will refill the cans. Even the chevy pickup can carry a few gas cans in the back. When two vehicles are near each other, there's a refuel option available in the vehicle menu, and you can move fuel between ANY adjacent vehicles, jerry cans, or fuel trailers.

The Paystar isn't too bad on fuel consumption, but AWD and a locked diff will burn it faster, and you don't to be stuck somewhere in the middle of a mission and out of fuel, with the only option to reset back to the garage. On the third Michigan map, I haven't even found a gas station and I've explored most of it.

FYI: I mentioned this above, but if you are hesitant to committing to sell everything for the Paystar, backup your game profile before doing it. That way if something goes south, you can restore it.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Ah, my bad, the Snowrunner tranny doesn't work with the Paystar. I think it's just for scouts vehicles.

Gotta say, having driven around the 2nd and 3rd Michigan maps, and gone through hell, going back and doing the missions and challenges I skipped on the first map are now a piece of cake.

Just running around with the Paystar picking up loads or trailers and using the scout tanker for refueling to avoid the hassle of driving to the gas station.