SnowRunner released on Epic store

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

SnowRunner released on Epic store

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Not usually my kind of game, but I must say having read some reviews, I'm intrigued. Looks like it would be a relaxing time sink. I just wish it was on Steam.

Review: https://jalopnik.com/snowrunner-is-a-nu ... 1843110799

Some gameplay early in the game:

Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Err
Life Member

Re: SnowRunner released on Epic store

Post by Err »

It looks great. If you haven't played the European or American Trucking Simulator games, grab them when they go on sale. They are very relaxing to play as well.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

I saw a preview on this and it looks fun in a relaxed, chatting and bullshitting kind way
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I've played the truck sims at times when I've wanted to do something laid back. This Snowrunner looks interesting. I like the off-roading aspect.
Is there an option for online co-op or similar?
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I got it. It's very Zen. Listen to some music or an audio book while I drive from point to point. I got as far as the initial job of bringing supplies to rebuild the bridge.

The winch system is really well done. As long as there's a sturdy tree nearby, you can get yourself out of trouble.

Physics are very realistic.

There is a coop option for 4 players.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Looks like you have to get to the first garage and retain your vehicles before you can play coop:

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Any idea on what the season pass brings? is it worth buying the deluxe version?

To answer myself, looks like it's worth it. New maps are for season pass holders. New activities for everybody
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Ha, still had a 10 dollar coupon on the epic store from who knows when. Not bad.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

OK, so little tip, the bottom right corner of the map after the bridge, near the garage, is mud. If you stop to admire the view, your default pickup WILL sink and get stuck.

That said, I used music. Couldnt focus on a podcast/audiobook, but am also coming to grips with the slippery slidey mud. You can go to another area after the garage, but I headed back to the start zone to work on gathering money and upgrades first.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

There is an inane pleasure to being stuck in a flooded road (yeah, I just charge through as fast as I can instead of going around), getting stuck, no winch points anywhere, so carefully applying some forward and back rocking in low gear, and wiggling the wheels to find just a bit of traction, and get yourself out.

The physics are amazing. Can't wait to get some better scouting vehicles and try to climb some REALLY rugged terrain.

I'm getting 85 - 100 fps with the default video settings it recommended which aren't anywhere near maxed out (a lot of mediums, and a couple of ultra). Bumping it up to High drops me down to 55 - 70fps (this is on a GTX 1080). Not sure I can see the difference without jumping back and forth.

BTW: The free camera was driving me crazy but there's a "Legacy camera" setting in the video menu that gives you more of a "follow along behind" view like in GTA5 that I like better. Even though the left stick (up/down) adjusts camera zoom, you can also adjust the FOV for the follow camera which will pull it back farther.

Me, personally, I can't drive from first person without the first person FOV cranked to the max as well.

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Im gonna ask this since I own one... Does this game have a M35A2 in it? If done my fair share of off roading in it and it never ceases to amaze me what It will put up with and go through. I have used my winch to pull others out more then myself. Also I still have both my thumbs.

Last edited by Pugsley on Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Not in the base game, but it's been added as a mod already.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Damn you all. Now I'm gonna have to get this too. I really prefer this to be on Steam. Hate installing a bunch of different launchers.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

That said, I used music. Couldnt focus on a podcast/audiobook
I find it more relaxing to listen to a podcast that I DON'T need or want to pay too much attention to. That way I can focus on the driving, but if I hear something interesting that's coo. This Week in Tech does it for me. :D

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

FYI: Easy to backup your whole profile. Located in \DOCUMENTS\MY GAMES\SNOWRUNNER\BASE|

You can just copy the entire BASE folder. I just tried it and it worked. I'm about to sell all 4 trucks I own to buy the much better Paystar 5070 offroad, but in case that turns out to be a mistake, I wanted to backup my profile.