SnowRunner released on Epic store

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: SnowRunner released on Epic store

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay that was worth it. Sold the C70, MH9500 and the F2070A for 100K and bought the Paystar 5070 for 88K. Slapped all terrain tires and a flat bed on it. Kept the crappy pickup for scouting after putting all terrain tires on it. That Paystar is a mule. I could actually do scouting with it, except it's a bit large.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Okay that was worth it. Sold the C70, MH9500 and the F2070A for 100K and bought the Paystar 5070 for 88K. Slapped all terrain tires and a flat bed on it. Kept the crappy pickup for scouting after putting all terrain tires on it. That Paystar is a mule. I could actually do scouting with it, except it's a bit large.
I've only played it for like an hour or so, but liking it. After the bridge I went the the garage. From there it wouldn't let me leave. Anyways, in the garage there was a Khan 39 Marshall. Been using that for scouting.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

The Paystar is a workhorse, but scouting, not so much. Mainly because some areas the mud will get it stuck. Trust me, I tried for an hour to get it out. Also tight tree collisions get wonky. I had a ghost tree flip me over once.

The Marshall is really good as a scout, but it is very top heavy, so careful on steeper angles. And if you roll over on the map edge, it's recovery time for you.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The garage messed me up at first. Couldn't figure out how to switch between bays at initially.

The Paystar is great, but yeah if it's deep enough it gets stuck. Almost got stuck getting that farmer's pickup out of the field. For 15 minutes it was just clawing out an inch at a time, wiggling the wheels to find some small bit of traction. I thought I'd run out of gas.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You know, I really appreciate that the HUD in the game is crammed into the center of the screen (at least on my wide screen monitor). I wish more games did that.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Just because I'm a masochist, I did the King of the Hill challenge with the POS Chevy truck. Only upgrade was all terrain tires. The south hill was TOUGH. I never made it back down though. I rolled down the hill and had to recover.

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

I've just been exploring in the scout freebie so far. Have most of the map open, just 1 watchtower left and a few odd hard to get to corners. I'll start working on repair tasks after that.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I would recommend you backup the user profile regularly (/documents/my games/Snowrunner/ folder), like at the end of the day. Not only does that make for a useful restore point if you screw up, but there are reports that Epic is sometimes overwriting your saved game (hasn't happened to me).

I was getting messages from Epic launcher that the cloud backup was not synced properly, so I disabled it. I've never been a fan of cloud sync anyway - it's disabled in most of my Steam games too.

Wish I had made a backup just before trying to do the mission where you recover the broken down truck in the dam map (the one you get to keep if you bring it to the garage). I made the mistake of getting it stuck in a bad place wedged against a tree. Now I've made it my mission to try to recover it. I managed to unjam it from the tree by bashing it with my Khan, but I'm having a hard time getting my Paystar in a good position to winch it out of there, without rolling the Paystar onto it's side. It's jammed between a tree and a steep hill. I WILL SUCCEED!

The game is new enough that there are a few bugs. The one I keep getting is that the menu stops working in the garage (can't take a truck out of the garage) and I have to restart the game. Thankfully the game loads fast.

They also need to fix the spare fuel cans. As far as I can tell from my experience and reddit posts, the only way to fill them is to go to a gas station, fill the truck's tank, then use the truck's menu to transfer fuel to the cans, then top off the truck's tank again. Stupid.

Fuel is so scarce in the Dam map that I'm going to buy a 2nd off road heavy truck with a fuel tank just to replenish my gas guzzling Paystar.

This game really shows the weakness of Epic not having it's own community forums. If this game was on Steam, there would be a LOT of forum discussion to help figure stuff out.

I wish someone would post a glossary of product icons and their descriptions. I've got trailers scattered around with stuff on them, but I can't always tell what that icon is. I might take it upon myself to make my own glossary and post it.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Best reddit thread I've found with a FAQ and posts on issues with some answers is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/snowrunner/com ... ns_thread/

I just hate Reddit. I prefer a simple forum. Reddit is hard to read sometimes.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

AHHHH. I've been so hung up on using the Kahn that I didn't realize it's the only scout that doesn't have a hitch. So I got a scout trailer for the upgraded Chevy pickup, and a fuel tanker (900L) plus a roof rack (tools and another 140L of fuel) for the Scout 800. Positioning the Scout 800 in the middle of the Dam map as a refuel/repair stop for the other vehicles.

My little fleet so far:

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

AAAND it's taken me this long to understand how repair works. That Scout with the roof rack has a HUGE amount of repair capability which let me rebuild the broken down truck on location, which made it easier to tow since now the tires aren't flat, and with the engine working, it could assist the towing vehicle.FYI: ANY spare tire can be used to replace a bad tire on ANY vehicle.

Before I repaired it, though, I managed to push it away from the tree it was hung up on and point it in the correct direction with the Khan. Then I brought in the big boy Paystar and hauled it across the river where I could work on it.

This took a couple of hours of concerted work... but it was SO satisfying.

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

You've really gotten into it. I play in very short spurts. it's fun for 30 minutes at a go, but after that I start getting bored. Little too slow for me overall.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I should have just given up when I got that broken down truck snagged on the tree, and just moved on to another mission. But I REALLY wanted to beat it.

I find the time goes by for me like playing Minecraft or Astroneer.

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Sounds like someone should of been a Tow Truck operator.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

God, the 3rd Michigan map is a nightmare. All mud everywhere. No gas station that I've found yet. Scouting it out with the Scout 800 hauling a scout fuel tanker.

Gotta say that Scout 800 is actually a very nice scout vehicle. It's normally top heavy with the roof rack full of tools and gas, but being hitched to the fuel tanker keeps it from rolling over. That little guy has hauled that fuel tanker through placed I never thought possible. Touch and go sometimes, desperately looking for something to attach a winch to.