Hardship: Shipbreaker

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Hardship: Shipbreaker

Post by Losbot »

Bummer. I don't want to lose my progress!
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I decided to play the weekly R.A.C.E. challenge. That's fun, once you know your way around these ships. You need to satisfy the work order, or as much as you can, in one 15 minute shift, and then your score is placed on the leaderboard.

You can replay it as many times as you like. You get the same ship with the same layout until a new challenge starts the next week.

Makes you cut corners. No time for careful, delicate cuts. Hack and slash through the bulkheads as fast and safely as you can, to grab the work order items.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

New progression reset starts today!

The 'Salvage Your Future' update also tweaks progression, adds more ship variety, and reworks difficulty:
https://www.pcgamer.com/hardspace-shipbreake ... ming-may-6
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Did we lose our "equipment" ? I have no upgrade options now on my new profile or do they unlock later on?

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

It's a total reset. The new changes don't support the old saved game system. You start all over again.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Entire Javelin cargo ship eaten by the processor off of one decompressing airlock

[url]https://www.reddit.com/r/Shipbreaker/comment ... processor/[/url]

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Heh, I did that with one of the really huge ships once. Framerate went down to nothing for a 15 seconds as the game figured out how to deal with that.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

FYI: Final game has been released with a complete campaign story.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Oh, nice. I'll have to check it out. Haven't played in some time.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

There are two major career modes:

Standard which is a 15 minute shift, and limited oxygen. You are forced to go inside and sleep after the shift.

I personally, prefer Open Shift. No timer, so you can work on the ship as long as you want without being on a clock. I just find it annoying to be interrupted every 15 minutes. It really doesn't give you any advantage. I just prefer to work as long as I want without interruptions (short of flying back to the platform for more tethers, or to repair a cracked faceplate). You can do that in sandbox mode too, but then there's no progression or challenge. I want the career campaign, but the short shifts are annoying. This was a big complaint in the alpha and the devs added this option, and it's great that they listened to the community.

Open Shift also gives you the option (every time you go outside you have a choice), to disable oxygen use. This does remove one risk factor, but having played a lot of the pre release, I'm done with that. It's a bit annoying now, and I just want to work on the ship without having to constantly go to the platform to get more oxygen. There's plenty of other things that can kill you.

The game is by far the best simulation I've ever seen of flying around in zero G in a space suit. It takes inertia into account. Initially it's a bit difficult pushing the bigger heavy objects into the maws of the furnace or recycler, but once you get the tethers at around the time you work on your third ship I think, it's a whole new game. Click a tether to an object, click the other end to the maw. If it's really heavy you may need more tethers. It may need a shove if it gets hung up on something. Keep inertia in mind. Heavy things tend to want to keep moving at their initial vector.

The ships may seem to start out pretty simple, but that's just to let you learn the ropes. As your hazard rating increases, you get much more complicated ships, and you have to plan your salvage. If the ship is pressurized, you need to purge the atmosphere from all sections before you start cutting or you'll have an explosive decompression. If there's still fuel in the system, you need to purge it before cutting fuel lines or removing certain components. Your welding sparks are directional and can set things on fire. The ship might be fully powered up, and it's better to kill the power or risk electrical arcs. Reactors go critical and explode when freed from their mounts and the cooling system, so you need to cut open a clear path for it to take to the recycling barge so you can send it there before it goes boom.

It's a very Zen game. I played around 4 hours last night.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Some new gameplay video here.

I like the Firefly style music. Hasn't got annoying enough yet to turn it off.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Wish they had a co-op option, so you really need someone you can trust to not be an idiot. LOL