Quake Enhanced version. Free upgrade if you already own Quake on Steam

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Quake Enhanced version. Free upgrade if you already own Quake on Steam

Post by FlyingPenguin »

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app ... 8371492362

Okay, I'm up for this. I don't think I own Quake through Steam, but I'll cough up 10 bucks for it. I know what I'm playing tonight!
Quake – the legendary dark fantasy FPS that revolutionized the genre is now enhanced! This new offering features cross-play, dedicated servers for online deathmatch matchmaking, free optional Add-ons, split-screen support for local deathmatch and co-op, AI opponents in deathmatch and more!

Note: Steam users who already own Quake will automatically receive the new enhanced version with a free download!

Read the FAQ below for details on how to access the enhanced version.

RELEASE NOTES
Enhanced Graphics
Better lighting, new models, updated maps, and a dynamic shadow system headline the graphical features available in Quake. Individual features of the enhanced graphics can be turned on and off to your preference

Includes Original Expansion Packs
The two retail expansion packs, Scourge of Armagon, and Dissolution of Eternity are both now bundled with Quake, and are integrated into the main game. The downloadable expansion pack, Dimension of the Past, has also been upgraded and included

Includes Soundtrack
The iconic original soundtrack by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails is now included on all versions for the first time. The soundtracks for Scourge of Armagon, and Dissolution of Eternity are also included when playing those expansion packs

Brand New "Dimension of the Machine" Episode
Created for Quake's 25th anniversary, Dimension of the Machine is a brand new experience created by the MachineGames team. Continue your fight through brand new dimensions, figure out the secret to restarting the machine, and come face to face with an old foe

Free Optional Add-ons
Similar to our re-releases of DOOM (1993) and DOOM II, we will also be periodically releasing free optional Add-ons available to download in the in-game "Adds-on" menu. Our first Add-on is Quake 64, which includes the original alternate soundtrack by acclaimed composer Aubrey Hodges

Split-Screen Multiplayer
Quake includes 4 player split-screen multiplayer on all platforms, in both deathmatch and co-op modes. Fight against your friends, or with your friends in all five campaigns. AI bots are also available to play against in deathmatch mode

Online Multiplayer
Play custom matches on player-hosted servers, or hop into matchmaking and play on dedicated servers. Quake also now includes the extra levels Acrophobia, and The Edge available in deathmatch mode. Dimension of the Machine also contains all new deathmatch levels

Cross-Play Multiplayer
Play with friends no matter which platform they prefer. Cross-play is available on all platforms, so you can play Quake with everyone

Supported Languages
English, French, Italian, Spanish, German, Russian

PC SPECS
Minimum Spec (1080p/60 HZ)
Windows 10
Intel Core i5-3570 @ 3.4 GHz or AMD Ryzen 3 1300x @ 3.5 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 TI (2GB) or AMD HD 7750 (1GB)
8GB System RAM
Minimum 2GB free space on hard drive (additional space required for optional Add-ons)
High speed broadband connection required for online play

Recommended Spec (*4K/120 HZ)
Windows 10
Intel Core i5-6600k @ 3.5 GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB) or AMD RX Vega 56 (8GB)
8GB System RAM
Minimum 2GB free space on hard drive (additional space required for optional Add-ons)
High speed broadband connection required for online play
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Quake Enhanced version. Free upgrade if you already own Quake on Steam

Post by FlyingPenguin »

BTW if you own Quake from the Bethesda store, word is that will be automatically upgraded to the new version for free as well.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay, the game did not make me setup a Bethesda account because I already have one (for Doom and Doom Eternal is all I can think of) and I guess Bethesda already knew who I was via Steam as it automatically logged me in. There's no launcher involved. The login is as quick and seamless as it is in the two aforementioned Doom games.

I'm several levels into the new "Dimension of the Past" episode and I'm loving it. Threw myself into it on hard difficulty, but one of the things I loved about Quake (and all old skool games) was the multiple save slots and quick saves.

Engine feels and looks good without being an over top make-over. As good if not better than most of the 3rd party engines I've played. If looks like the textures have been redone at a higher resolution, which makes a big difference on a high resolution monitor (playing on a 3440x1440 here). I really appreciate having an FOV slider. Due to the wide monitor I like cranking up FOV in most games.

There's some image processing going on (I've turned on AA, Ambient Occlusion, Depth of Field (I normally don't like this but in this game it's not over done), Motion Blur, Enhanced Models, Color Lightmaps, Fog and Dynamic Shadows. The effects are subtle but it makes for a softer, more pleasing look, without the harsh edges in the original game.

Controls are very responsive, as opposed to the very laggy response in the Quake II RTX remake.

Sound effects sound like they've been redone. Shotgun in particular sounds better. Nice having the NIN soundtrack in the background without going through hoops like in other 3rd party Quake engines.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I have the original CD of Quake including the manual, but I can't find the cd key (if there is one).

EDIT: I found a copy already installed. It includes "quakespasm" files. Not sure how to add this in Steam.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You can't. You have to have a copy purchased through Steam or Bethesda, otherwise you need to buy it for $10.

I didn't own it on Steam so I bought it. The 5 hours I spent playing it yesterday is already worth it.

BTW: This supports cross-platform multiplayer, AND cooperative. It also has bots for multiplayer.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I tried the bots last night, and they're actually very good.

I also breezed through the original first episode, which was like coming home to the house you grew up in and finding all those little hidden nooks and crannies you discovered as a kid. I was happy to discover that I missed very few secret rooms on that run.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I spent about 15 minutes on it, and forgot about the secrets.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »