Death Stranding 60% off on STEAM

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Death Stranding 60% off on STEAM

Post by FlyingPenguin »

After talking to a bunch of friends recently, who play this and recommend it, I put it on my wish list last week. I couldn't see spending $60 on it, considering there's a director's cut coming out for it (only consoles so far).

Today I got notified it was on sale for 60% off.

It's been called a "walking simulator" but there's much more to the game than that, I'm told.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1190 ... STRANDING/

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Death Stranding 60% off on STEAM

Post by FlyingPenguin »

60% off again until October 10th. Going to snag it this time.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Here is a walk through part1 intro. Strange game.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well I've got to say the game is stunning and that's not just graphics either, it's the production values it's like a freaking movie. Interestingly when new characters are first introduced, you get text with the character's name and the actor's name popping up on the screen like you're still in the opening credits of a movie. There's all kinds of actors in this thing. Lindsay Wagner is in here, voicing a 25 year old version of herself, and I have to say that Lindsay pulls that off. Her voice still sounds young.

The beginning of a game is a lot of cutscenes to introduce what's going on and usually I have no patience for cutscenes but they're done so interestingly in this game that I'm compelled to watch them, and the back story IS interesting.

I can't really comment on the gameplay because I'm an hour and a half in and the game is really just starting now. Everything prior was just introduction, backstory and a cunningly disguised tutorial.

The story is a bit strange because of course, despite taking place in America it's really more of a Japanese art game with some fantasy-like elements of science in it. Think zombie apocalypse meets Final Fantasy. Because it's Hideo Kojima.

After an hour last night I finally got to my first real mission, and yeah there's a certain satisfaction to trudging across the rugged landscape and keeping the backpack balanced on your back, and not falling over like a doof. Whether or not that will grow old is the question but there is a sort of zen-like enjoyment to it right now.

The game makes very strange choices like for instance you cannot turn off the music nor can you adjust the volume. That is what the Hideo Kojima wants you to hear whether you like it or not. It's part of the story he's telling.

Fair warning in the early parts of the game when there's a lot of cutscenes, you can't exit the game without skipping a cutscene (and missing out on something) and possibly being allowed to get access to the menu after it to exit. So be prepared to sit down with it for an hour the first time, and if you have to walk away just leave the game running.