Satisfactory

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Satisfactory

Post by FlyingPenguin »

This my new time waster. For anal retentive people like me, you can get lost in it for hours just tweaking your conveyor systems for optimal layout.

It's not a creative sandbox. You have milestones that require manufacturing increasingly complex items which in turn rewards you with improved technologies, but they require even more complex manufacturing processes.

If you've played Astroneer, it's like Astroneer on crack.

I just got coal power plants which can be automated (run conveyors from automated coal mines to your plants, along with pipes to bring water from lakes. Now I can replace all my smaller, and less powerful, biofuel power plants which required me to run around and cut down trees and manually make biofuel and manually load the fuel into the generators.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Satisfactory

Post by Losbot »

I've sunk a lot of time into that game. It's easy to get sucked into it.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

90 hours into the game. I'm like a crack addict - I can't stop playing it. It's worse than Minecraft. There's always some assembly line that needs to be tweaked before going to bed, and suddenly it's 4 am.

A little tour video I made, using the built-in Windows 10 Game Bar video capture, which works very well. Make sure you set the quality to 1080p. For some reason Youtube doesn't always default to the best quality.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Great walkthrough and it gave me some ideas.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

There are so many changes and quality of life improvements in the update 6 beta, that I installed it on my workstation, and then downloaded a popular save game file that has all technology, research and Awesome Shop items unlocked, but nothing built, and starts you in the desert next to a lake.

I'm going to continue my original survival update 5 game on the gaming PC, but I want to experiment with update 6 and try out some ideas for setting up remote warehouses with conveyors bringing in the basic ingots and stuff on mk.4 conveyors, and having it all just pass through generalized factories and just use smart splitters to send stuff where I need it. Also want to experiment with neater wires and pipes.

There are some very nice quality of life improvements in update 6, like the new map. You can place markers with icons, colors and descriptions, and have a map marker show up as a beacon in your hud.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

FlyingPenguin wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:18 pm There are so many changes and quality of life improvements in the update 6 beta, that I installed it on my workstation, and then downloaded a popular save game file that has all technology, research and Awesome Shop items unlocked, but nothing built, and starts you in the desert next to a lake.
Got a link?

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

This guy has saved game files for Update 5 & 6 with everything unlocked (all milestones, all MAM research, all alternate recipes, all the Awesome Store extras). You also get the blade runners and jet pack (they can be used at the same time now), and some starter items: https://www.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGa ... _full_map/

You still have to bootstrap your manufacturing and start with biofuel generators, and work your way up, but saves you all the research.

Update 6 Beta WILL load Update 5 saved games, but you should back them up first in case you want to go back to 5.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'm experimenting with having tall multiple layer conveyor belts feeding into a factory. It seems you can stack them as high as you want, and I'm putting a splitter every aisle on every belt (since splitters can stack), so that I can just tap into whichever line I need to at an assembler and easily change that assembly line.

Update 6 overview. This guy loves the nuke nobelisk:

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

This is what I'm trying to do in the new build I'm doing in Update 6. I'm sending all the basic components on a stacked conveyor down the center of my factory, with splitters every aisle. Then I can plonk down an assembler on either side and just run belts from the closest stack of splitters. You can see one assembler in the background I'm using to make reinforced plates.

This is just me brain storming. I haven't seen any videos or anything. Just want to explore the concept. I'm not sure how practical it's going to be to make that center belt much taller, but we'll see.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Very cool!

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Gotten a little farther along, and so far I'm liking this design. It makes for a very neat and clean layout. A little tour I put together:

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I saw a video where someone used monorails to move everything to a sort-of centralized production area. Things got mined/extracted and stored. Trains would pick up stuff and take it to the productions areas. Very elaborate train network.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I haven't done trains yet, although I think it's more for fun than practical. By the time you can afford trains, you can also afford to run at least Mk 4 conveyor belts anywhere in the world. I did try some programmed truck routes, but it wasn't worth it.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

It DOES look pretty cool.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Going to have to watch that in detail.