Raft mini review

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Raft mini review

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'm on a mission to play all the good indie sandbox/survival games out there, and now that I'm totally burned out on Satisfactory for a while, I've been obsessed with Raft.

You start on a small raft with nothing, after a Waterworld type apocalypse that raised the ocean levels and there's nothing left but islands. You have to survive by snatching trash as it floats by, eventually expanding your raft and making improvements so you can control where it goes (starting with sails and ending with engines), while adding all the comforts of home and feeding yourself.

Resource harvesting is mainly floating debris for wood, plastic, palm fronds, chests of food or more complex devices, and snorkeling reefs for scrap metal, metal ore, seaweed, rocks, sand, clay and the occasional sunken raft full of supplies. Plus the islands have trees and fruit, and later on even animals. There's also floating abandoned rafts full of goodies that are worth steering for when you see them.

Survival choices, like Minecraft, are up to you. You can setup small farms on your raft, but I hate farming so I fish and raid islands for fruit instead.

There is a story campaign you can follow, which is revealed by finding notes at different locations. You can ignore the story as long as you like, or abandon it to concentrate on tricking out your raft, and then go back to it when you want. There is an incentive to following the story, because you do get blueprints for things (like engines and a rudder, and other tech improvements) that your can't get otherwise.

I started an easy game, and got to the point just past where I got the engines and rudder. I started feeling the game was too easy so I started another game on normal. That was a lot more challenging in the beginning and now I just got engines and rudder again, and it feels earned.

I will post a review by my Favorite madman, Josh, from the Let's Game it Out YouTube channel. Of course he finds a way to break the game physics.

The game was in early release when he reviewed it, but it's complete now.

The game is $20 on Steam with Very Positive reviews: https://store.steampowered.com/app/648800/Raft/

Beware of a scam ripoff game on Steam called Survive on Raft that suckers you into thinking it's Raft.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Raft mini review

Post by Losbot »

OMG that was hilarious
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Raft mini review

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I swear, Josh is probably singularly responsible for half the game sales of Raft. Half the reviews on Steam are 'I'm only here because of Josh'. I know that's the reason I bought the game.

Have you seen his numbers? That video has 13 million views, and he has 4.6 million subscribers!

BTW, the game has a coop mode, if anyone wants to team up.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "