Revisiting the XCom games...

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Revisiting the XCom games...

Post by FlyingPenguin »

After hearing about OpenXcom, which is a reverse engineered source port of the original 1994 DOS based XCom UFO Defense, but ported to Windows with modern display support, I downloaded it hoping to relive some old memories. Then I discovered that much as I was obsessed with the game back in the day, it's UI is horrible.

So I dusted off 2012's XCom Enemy Unknown which I haven't played since it's release, and had a jolly good time playing it all the way through. Runs fine on Win10 except it doesn't like wide screens so had to play it at 2560x1440.

I was so stoked after that, that I then played the newer 2016 XCom2 which I haven't played in 8 years, and played that all the way through in vanilla mode (this does properly support wide screens). I originally had 80 hours into the game, but had forgotten a lot about it. Been fun replaying it, especially with the "Chen's last gift" DLC, which adds a side mission that gives you a robotic soldier to add to your squad, which makes the early game slightly less brutal.

That wasn't enough. I then played it again with the War of the Chosen DLC, which is amazing. Makes for a completely new game. I also discovered the wonderful mod community and all the great quality of life mods that make the game so much better.

It's still a hard game, even on easy (although there are mods that make the early game a bit easier), but after a few hours I got into the groove of the tactics that work best again (flanking maneuvers and putting your snipers on high ground FTW). Spent most of the last two weeks playing it. Still one of the best turn based combat games out there. I wish they'd release a new one.

When I finish it, I'll look into the Long War DLC, which is a fan made mod DLC, that is officially sanctioned by the publisher, which adds a ton of new game mechanics.

Oh, best part of XCom2 War of the Chosen DLC? All the new characters are voiced by actors from Star Trek TNG: Michael Dorn, Johnathon Frakes, Marina Sirtis, John DeLancie, Denise Crosby and Dwight Schultz. FRAKES and Delancie are the voices for two new faction leaders Dorn and Sirtis are the voices of two new operative soldiers. Haven't quite placed the others.

I admit I have probably been playing it too much. I now dream in XCom2 tactical moves, and I have the damn theme song stuck in my head (which plays before every mission). Here, welcome to my new ear worm:

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "