the 50 inch tv just died .

Discussions and tips about Home Theatre, HDTV and DVD setups
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

the 50 inch tv just died .

Post by reno »

are 6 month old Philips tv just died bought on 12/30/22. had to after my RF problem with the Visio sets. the set is getting channels but just sound no picture . we contacted Philips and there requested 4 photo . one a copy of my proof of purchase photo ,one of the serial and model label ,front photo of the set and lastly a photo of the set plug in . all emailed to them and now its a waiting game for final approval, not sure if they give a refund or exchange kind of hard to tell by there web site the way it's written . do know it will take a couple of weeks to we know how they work it. did discover that philips tv's are retagged sonya tv's thought all this .
reno

Re: the 50 inch tv just died .

Post by reno »

got to love it its may 11th and today we get a call from Philips . they are request to send a service repair person to my home and see if he can fine the problem . if needed to order parts to repair the set. so it be up to a week for the service tech to contact me . then after he reports his finding .they will send the replacement parts . now if we don't hear from a service tech after a week Im to call the warranty center .to make other arrangements on this $300.00 retail TV . never will we buy a philips televisions are manufactured by Funai. all the people we have spoke to are the fAR EAST.
reno

Post by reno »

g
Last edited by reno on Thu May 11, 2023 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reno

Post by reno »

update a tech for a semi local electronic service company call today . they setup a appointment for this Wednesday to check out the TV . told they look at and order parts if they fine the problem . anything more then a loose ribbon im guess it be a replacement tv . how much can it be costing the company. to send out a outsource tech twice plus cost of a replacement board ? I am requested to have the tv removed off the wall mount before the tech arrives ,
reno

Post by reno »

the service tech called at about 9 am today set up a 2 to 4 appointment today .at 1:15 - 1:30 this afternoon he arrived . had a box with a board in it with my name on it . by 2:00 o clock he had the back of the tv apart and back together with the board installed and we had a working tv again . he said they use to repair the boards . these days they just swap them out with brand new ones . said the cost of the electronic boards are like $30.00 new . he did have to remove about 20 plus screws of 3 sizes to remove the access panel . was a very quick swap out and kind of glad they had the right part . didn't get a real good look but seem like all there was to the tv was 3 controller boards with the panel removed . not really much to the new TV's these day .don't know what they charged for the service call . but i'm guessing the bill was way cheaper then . send me a replacement tv .
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

A power board. A input board. a processor board and a "smart" board are about all there is in modern TVs. some a few more than others.
reno

Post by reno »

this piece of shit tv died again - will never buy a Phillips ever again ! wife went to turn it on Thursdays and it would'nt . tried unplugging it and new batterys in the remote . calling monday but guessing they put it off as im so close to the 1 year warranty with in days left .
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

So far I have had good reliability out of Samsung and Vizio TVs. I have a Vizio at the old house that has to be at least 12 years old, that's still running and looks great.

My first two HDTVs were Samsungs, and they have a date on the serial number tag on them, so I know they are 15 years old now. Both still work and look good. One is in my Dad's bedroom because it's a simple dumb TV, and he's used to the remote, and the other I have in storage for retro gaming, etc, because it still has a variety of old input jacks (composite, component, VGA) in addition to HDMI, and both are pure, dumb, TVs with no 'smart' shit.

I have a 6 year old Samsung QLED in the master bedroom, and a 5 year old Samsung QLED in the living room.

FYI: I never connect my TVs to the Internet. Both for security, and because some hackers have found ways to compromise the firmware update system, and brick your TV, just for the Lulz. We use Rokus and the Xfinity X1 boxes for streaming. I genuinely miss 'dumb' TVs.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I used to buy Samsung exclusively but the last few years, I switched to the LG OLED ones and have not looked back. The picture is so many times better than the Samsung QLED I had or the Plasma which was amazing in its day. After this, I can not see myself going back to any of the LCD variants (LCD, LED, QLED) and any of the other fancy names for what's essentially an LCD screen. After 2 yrs, I now mated it with a LG sound bar and surround. Now I'm even happier.
------------------------------------------

reno

Post by reno »

yes my next will be a Samsung or LG im leaning more to Samsung -will never buy a Phillip's or anything made by there parent company (Funai )
reno

Post by reno »

reno wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:29 pm yes my next will be a Samsung or LG im leaning more to Samsung -will never buy a Phillip's or anything made by there parent company (Funai ) they make these brands - Philips, Magnavox, Emerson Radio, and Sanyo.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I had a Sony with a decent Sony sound bar, but the damn thing would not work 100% with the Samsung TV, so I had to shell out $ for a Samsung sound bar. Bastards!