speaker question

Discussions and tips about Home Theatre, HDTV and DVD setups
renovation

speaker question

Post by renovation »

are the speakers used in a guitar amp .any diffrent then those used for a home stereo. i have a amp that was given to me this last week and there are 2-12" speakers in it and i was wondering if i were to make a speaker case would these work for a stereo i have in my shed. the guy who owned the amp said he replaced them but it was still doa. so im guessing there good.
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

i am not a guitar amp guy, but from what i know...

the guitar amp/speaker has...well...an integrated amp, so most likely you will just use the line-in input on them, rather than what a standard home stereo speaker would use (since the home stereo speakers need to be powered). other than that, the guitar amp will not have the same quality in frequency coverage, but should work. if it's for a garage or shed, then the sound should be ok.

others here should know more about guitar stuff though.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

If I understand, you intend to remove the speakers from the amp and mount them in their own cabinets?

Keep in mind that these speakers are designed for guitars and thus are designed to reproduce sound best in mid-range. Also many guitar amps use speakers with unusual impedances. For home speakers you want 8 ohm speakers (or at least close to that).
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

They are different as FP noted. Not much good for bass, but they will make plenty of sound above 80hz. They are usually an easier load if anything on the stereo. Don't know if it's worth a pile of work though if you have other options. That & the fact that you don't have any specifications on the woofers, so it's unlikely that you'd be able to make a proper enclosure.

My local Craigslist always has someone selling a pair of old something-or-others for $20-40. In my old age (recently aquired), I've been too lazy to make many speaker cabinets.
renovation

Post by renovation »

thanks guys for your imput .i have not looked to see what the amp's speakers ohm's ratings are yet .i need to sure look into that .
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help