Looking to acquire a sub-woofer for use outside

Discussions and tips about Home Theatre, HDTV and DVD setups
DaMaN

Looking to acquire a sub-woofer for use outside

Post by DaMaN »

I have a modest outdoor deck setup of 2 Dayton weather resistant speakers controlled through the wall of my garage by a no name receiver that has an output for a sub. Does anyone recommend anything for this setup? I saw those "rock" looking sub woofers but they are pricey so looking for a cheaper alternative.

Thanks,

DM
MidnightSin

Post by MidnightSin »

A Marine sub with about .5 cf MDF enclosure covered with fiberglass to make it look like a rock. Materials and all should be about 50-75 bucks plus the sub.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

MidnightSin's got it. Probably cost less than that actually. Any sub that has a rubber surround (instead of foam) should be fine. If you go that route, hit me up, I've got a few subs that would be appropriate. You'd still need an amp for the sub by the way, but those can be had.
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

My regular speakers are mounted to the side of my garage, under the eaves of the roof of the garage at my deck area. Would it be easier to just mount this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360271186215&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1593wt_1139 through the wall of the garage, at a lower height than the regular speakers?

Here is an even cheaper alternative: http://cgi.ebay.com/PYLE-Hydra-PLMRW10-Marine-Subwoofer-Driver-/200611817150?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item2eb56566be#ht_1047wt_905

Should these be in an enclosure? Would they be ok in the cavity in between two beams in the garage backed by sheet-rock as far as acoustics? I am not a ultra audio aficionado but want some decent base when I play my music out in the backyard / deck area.

Thanks
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

Also, since my cheapo receiver is a reused old Home Theater in a box stereo, should i be looking 4ohm or 8ohm?
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

ok, crazy idea but could I just buy a Marine Subwoofer and drill out a Igloo cooler and use that for an enclosure? I could drill a small hole for cables and silicone it to keep it water tights. Am I crazy or will that work?
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

It'd probably work, but wouldn't likely sound too good since the plastic walls are mighty flexible & thus the sub will resonate like nobody's business. You're better off putting it in a 5 gal. bucket due to it's circular shape. Not that it would be a huge improvement. Now, a large PVC tube on the other hand would work (mounting the sub would be a different issue).