Pay TV industry loses record number of subscribers

Discussions and tips about Home Theatre, HDTV and DVD setups
renovation

Pay TV industry loses record number of subscribers

Post by renovation »

The weak economy is hitting Americans where they spend a lot of their free time: at the TV set.

They're canceling or forgoing cable and satellite TV subscriptions in record numbers, according to an analysis by The Associated Press of the companies' quarterly earnings reports.

The U.S. subscription-TV industry first showed a small net loss of subscribers a year ago. This year, that trickle has turned into a stream. The chief cause appears to be persistently high unemployment and a housing market that has many people living with their parents, reducing the need for a separate cable bill.

But it's also possible that people are canceling cable, or never signing up in the first place, because they're watching cheap Internet video. Such a threat has been hanging over the industry. If that's the case, viewers can expect more restrictions on online video, as TV companies and Hollywood studios try to make sure that they get paid for what they produce.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/201108 ... B9LG0.html

my sister law said she heard on the local news that comcast is loosing subscribers by the drove's . and when i went to the UPS store to drop off my box of equipment the guy seen the box and with out seeing the shipping tag said comcast .and i was not the only one there shipping boxs back to them .but mine was the largest of all that were in the store when i was there.
so i beleave what my wifes sister said today .also she told them were to stuff it after i did . funny in the link i posted they didn't even bring up comcast ?
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

i'm about to cancel my satellite service...probably by the end of the month.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

You know why... because of commercials. Why should I pay for it when its just like watching over the air tv... and most shows that are cable/satellite specific can be watched over at hulu.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I switched from Sat to Verizon FIOS about 2 years ago, but for the TV service and some of the cable channels, its expensive. I wish they allowed a-la-cart, but thanks to the government interference, they are regulated to give you crap you'll never watch.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

You'd think this would inspire them to lower prices.