Normalicy...I need your help

Discussions and tips about Home Theatre, HDTV and DVD setups
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

It isn't really THAT important how close the crossover is to the speakers. We're only talking a few feet difference and the amount of power isn't enough to worry about resistance too much. For ease of installation, I suggest going with your first hunch. That way you don't necessarily have to run any new wires through the door jam (you could use the existing wires if you wish). It would be different if you were mounting both the tweeters & woofers in the door though.

Also, for mounting the tweeter you have a couple choices. You could either cut out a piece of thin plastic to cover the opening & cut a hole in it to mount the tweeter or a personal favorite of mine is to get a metal back strap and bend it into a saddle like so:
http://gallery.srtforums.com/photopost/ ... 012615.JPG

It's nice because it allows you to aim the tweeter a bit.
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

Thanks Mickey
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

Small update:

Took your advice and and mounted the tweeters on two .50 cent back-straps in the 4x6 locations. Left the crossovers in there as well and fished the woofer wires to the doors. Also ran the wires from the crossover to the future location of the amp behind the seats. I need to find a routing path for the AMP + power cable. Could not find an existing grommet on the passenger side where the battery is located at or firewall, so whenever I have some more free time that will be my next step.
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

Mickey, do you know where I can find a grill for that original Kicker S10C on the net? I fear that I may damage it.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Good deal.

Every car is different for getting the power wire through the firewall. And yes, I've had to resort to drilling a few times. If you do end up having to, make sure you check both sides for wires/brake lines/etc. I prefer to use THESE to pass large wires through the firewall.
I know that most hardware stores sell them for about $2-4.

However, I'd had pretty good luck finding a grommet. Sure, sometimes, I have to contort in crazy ways to see/get to it. You almost always have to poke a hole in it & as usual, make sure you don't poke anything else. Oh and I'm almost never lucky enough to have the grommet on the side that I'm mounting the amp.

As for the grill, I'd grab one of these:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_353 ... WGB10.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_116 ... BG-10.html
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

normalicy wrote:Sure, sometimes, I have to contort in crazy ways to see/get to it.
One of the worst cars I ever had to run a wire through was my buddy's 06 Honda Accord.. He was reaching all crazy down behind the exhausts manifolds in like 3" of space while I was upside down in the drivers seat reaching up trying to get the wire. It was horrible! I'm so glad the battery in my Magnum is in the back less than 2ft from the Amps.. lol

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

Mickey, I found a grommet on the passenger / battery side. The caveat on the grommet is that it is the same one the antenna uses. Will using that point give me interference when listening to am/ FM radio?
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Honestly, I've never tried to know. I'd like to say that you'll be OK so long as you only allow the wire to be next to it at that point. That'll limit any noise that it could introduce.
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

Mickey, got it all wired up but I assume to run channel 3 & 4 for the sub I need to buy two "Y" RCA cables to beak out the signal from the receiver into channels 1&2 + 3&4. Something like these?:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11703_Hitron-RCAY2M.html

I tried running it in 4 channel to test the sub but got no output. Is it safe to assume that you need input in channels 1 & 2 as a prerequisite to get output on channels 3 & 4.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

You should be able to plug the pair of RCA cables into the CH1 & CH2 RCAs & then move the "Input Select" switch to the left (2ch).
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

Mickey,

when I do that I get nothing from the sub which I wired to channel three.

Any ideas?
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

That's odd. I assume that you get sound out of the sub when you connect the RCAs to the ch3 & ch4? An alternate thing that you could do is to run a short set of RCAs from the outputs to the ch3 & ch4.
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

Unfortunately no sound when I move the rca's to 3&4. I will try the short set from the outputs to 3&4 tomorrow. Thanks.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Well, if you don't get sound then I suspect that the wiring to the sub is bad. Try connecting another speaker to 3 & 4 to test for output from the amp while you have the RCAs connected to 3 & 4. If that works, then you know that you have output from the amp.
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

Will do, just ran outside with a flashlight and tried the outputs to 3 & 4 with no avail. I will pull the sub out tomorrow and try troubleshooting that wiring. Thanks Mickey!