I now have this on my Samsung TV

Discussions and tips about Home Theatre, HDTV and DVD setups
Executioner
Life Member

Re: I now have this on my Samsung TV

Post by Executioner »

They guy came over and did some diagnostics on the TV. After about 10 minutes, he said sorry but the picture is shot and would cost ~$1000 for a replacement. He said just to ignore the lines since they may not be that visible while watching shows, but if I see more lines show up then it's probably time to get a new TV. In the diagnostic screen of the TV, mine had 20,000 hours on it. It was a class 5. He explained the different classes, so this one is a middle of the road. He said don't buy one at Walmart, since the classes they have are 1-3 which are the cheapest. He said Costco or Best Buy would be a better choice. He also recommended Samsung or LG. The higher the class, the more the TV will cost. The higher classes have better quality components, but he said the TV is not made to last forever. They purposely make them to last about 5 years. It was a real education on TV''s. Stuff that I did not know before.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Bummer.

I generally buy Vizio for rooms that don't get used often, and Samsung for the important ones like my living room. Vizios are pretty reliable, affordable, and have a nice GUI. And yeah, I never expect them to to last more than 5 years under continuous use, although I have one in my patio that gets a lot of use and is going on 8 years. I have a 120 Hz Samsung, one of the first ones, that must be nearly 10 years old and still going strong and it gets a lot of use. Cost a fortune at the time, but it was just about the very first 1080p 120Hz panel available, and it looked stunning next to everything else in the store at that time.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

that a bummer - always thought the life of the new style flat screen tv was short . i have a Panasonic here in Michigan and a Samsung in Florida as are main units . we did have a RCA with built in dvd player in are bedroom in Michigan .wife gave it to her sister . seeing its summer when were here in Michigan .we don't really watch much tv anyway. are bedroom unit in Florida a Philip are son in-law gave us .he had a problem with it shutting off or on forget now .he just have to unplug it and that would reset it self. we use it so little there to. we do use the tv more when in Florida as the days are shorter. here in Michigan we just use rabbit ears and movies on my blue ray & off are portable HD. Florida we have cable.roku and blue ray and the same portable HD ! (fyi me im not one to lay in bed to watch tv . im also to active in Florida ~ we have also downsized seeing are daughter moved out so we trashed are old tube tvs (spare bedroom & hot tub room ) and just never replaced them. (mostly when we repainted the rooms they were in ) besides even charity's don't want them any more ~

make me wonder whats the life of a computer monitor ?
i know im still using a hyundai l90d+ that on 24 /7 - 6 month a year been going strong for at least 5-8 years . i also bought it used im sure a lot of hours are on it.still going strong !
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Unfortunately, plasma is going out due to it's inefficiency. They draw about 3x the power of LCD. But I agree that plasma wins in the picture quality department.