I now have this on my Samsung TV

Discussions and tips about Home Theatre, HDTV and DVD setups
Executioner
Life Member

I now have this on my Samsung TV

Post by Executioner »

Just noticed these lines on my TV last night, and they are here again today. The TV is ~5 yrs old - a plasma. Is the TV shot?

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: I now have this on my Samsung TV

Post by FlyingPenguin »

When you see a straight line like that (on an LCD anyway - not sure about plasma), it usually means a row or column of pixels are dead. Might be the panel, or the panel driver, but either way it doesn't look good.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

That really stinks. I always thought plasma had the best picture. I'd be tempted to go 4K but there's not content right now.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I have a 4yo Samsung 65" Plasma and the picture is amazing. Tough to say what that could be. Something on the board might be shot. I'd at least call and get an estimate. Might be worth having it fixed if you spent a good bit of coin on it.
I haven't had any issue and have 1 more year to go before my warr runs out. It's currently used quite a bit by my daughter and I'm thinking of moving mine to my office and putting a 4K in that family room. It'll cost me less to run it and I can stretch out the plasma with less use.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Well since the TV is 5 yrs old, I may be better off getting something newer. I've also heard that plasma is on it's way out. Not really sure what to get as a replacement. It's a 55 inch. I'd like to stay with that - either a 55 or 60 inch. I noticed that they now have ultra HD, but the prices are about $1000 more than just HD. What about 3D? Haven't heard much about those, unless they turned out to be like the beta tape machines of the 80's.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Executioner wrote:Well since the TV is 5 yrs old, I may be better off getting something newer. I've also heard that plasma is on it's way out. Not really sure what to get as a replacement. It's a 55 inch. I'd like to stay with that - either a 55 or 60 inch. I noticed that they now have ultra HD, but the prices are about $1000 more than just HD. What about 3D? Haven't heard much about those, unless they turned out to be like the beta tape machines of the 80's.
3D shouldn't factor into purchasing, there just isn't enough good 3D content. Most 3D movies are half-assed done in post production. My last TV purchased was a 60" Sharp Aquos back when Amazon would price match TVs. A deal popped up on Slickdeals that BJs was clearing them out and had them marked down to $900. With how long TVs last nowadays, I wouldn't bother with getting the latest tech. Take advantage of when the older models that are being cleared out. See the TV locally. If you can't get one for the price you want locally, don't be scared of ordering it on Amazon. I've bought 2 TVs through them with no issues. Large TVs are delivered and installed (same type of delivery companies that would deliver it from a local store). As for 4K, I'm starting to see more offerings, but since I don't have a 4K TV or even looking into getting one, I can't tell you really how much content there is. You could probably wait it out another 5 years ;) Personally if comparing a 1080p TV for $1K today and a 4K for $2K today, I'd probably go with the 1080p for $1K today and get a 4K in a few years for $1K. Sure in the end you spent $2K, but chances are you'd be getting a better 4K down the road and in the case that 4K doesn't really grow much, you've saved some money. Just remember, just cause it's 4K doesn't always mean you're getting a better picture. The size of the TV and the distance you're sitting from it plays a big part. How far away will you be sitting from the TV?

http://designinside.com/size-4k-ultra-hd-tv-right-room/
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I agree with Psypher but I'd still get an estimate for that Plasma to be repaired, simply because the picture quality on those Samsung plasmas is amazing. Still better than an LCD/LED.
Yes, plasma is phasing out because people don't know how good plasma TVs are or don't realize that 4K will not make a difference in their tiny living rooms. Small screens really don't benefit and you'll not really notice a difference.
Once you get into the really large sized screens, then it's a different story.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Losbot wrote:I agree with Psypher but I'd still get an estimate for that Plasma to be repaired, simply because the picture quality on those Samsung plasmas is amazing. Still better than an LCD/LED.
Yes, plasma is phasing out because people don't know how good plasma TVs are or don't realize that 4K will not make a difference in their tiny living rooms. Small screens really don't benefit and you'll not really notice a difference.
Thankfully OLED is out and in a few years when their prices come down some more the whole Plasma is better argument will be as dead as Plasma is now :). Right now, I think OLED is still 1-2K too expensive. Yes you can get a few under 2K, but the ones that are really worth buying a new TV for are in the 3-4K price range, which I consider too high for a living room TV.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Losbot wrote:I agree with Psypher but I'd still get an estimate for that Plasma to be repaired, simply because the picture quality on those Samsung plasmas is amazing. Still better than an LCD/LED.
What kind of shop will give you an estimate? I don't recall seeing may "TV Repair Shops".

Yeah I don't plan on spending $$$ for a TV. I'd like to keep the cost between $900-$1200. I'm guess, but I think I sit ~12 feet from the TV. I'll have to measure it to confirm.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Executioner wrote:What kind of shop will give you an estimate? I don't recall seeing may "TV Repair Shops".

Yeah I don't plan on spending $$$ for a TV. I'd like to keep the cost between $900-$1200. I'm guess, but I think I sit ~12 feet from the TV. I'll have to measure it to confirm.
Google is your friend:
Near you: http://www.yelp.com/biz/par-tv-repair-davis

Sears & Best Buy are also authorized as well.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Thanks Los. I sent them an email with the screen shot. I hope its fixable.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Hopefully it won't be too harsh on the wallet. It'd be a shame to toss that TV.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

He's coming over Friday morning. Yeah I'd like to keep it if it's fixable. If he can fix it, I'm also going to have him perform some calibrations on the settings. I never had that done.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

I bought an LG LED tv and it was worth every penny.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

Executioner best of luck on the TV ~