New Bobiverse out

Post your book reviews here
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

New Bobiverse out

Post by Genom »

I know someone here had read the Dennis Taylor Bobiverse books and liked them, just saw that he finally put out a new book and figured I'd mention it. Am just going to start it myself so will update with a review later.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: New Bobiverse out

Post by FlyingPenguin »

It was excellent. It's a long book - more like two of the old books together. Not just a rehash of the old stories either. This is a deeper dive into some of the social, psychological and philosophical ramifications of the Bobiverse (immortality, personality drift from cloning, etc). All the things that I was thinking about while reading the other books.

That's the background arc, while the main story is the search for Bender, which is itself a wonderful exploration and adventure story.

BTW: I also just read his recent book Outland. I was not initially excited about it as the description makes it sound like it's a stupid young adults adventure, but actually it was very good. The story does revolve around six college students who make an amazing scientific discovery, which leads to subsequent adventure, but he doesn't write them like your typical 'young adults'. Instead he writes them as real adults, and intellectuals. Honestly, he writes them like Bobiverse characters, with similar character interplay. The character Bill in Outland feels a lot like Bill or Bob from Bobiverse. Richard feels like Thor, and Erin feels like Garfield. I'd recommend it. Just give it a few chapters to start getting interesting.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I need the audio book of the first one. Have had some crappy luck finding it.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Book was pretty good. The super short chapters going back and forth got a bit tiring near the end to be honest, and I wish the ending had not stopped where it did, but it just sounds like there will be a book 5 in the future, so all good.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Oh, another good book by the same author I read several months back was The Singularity Trap. Very different kind of book, but very good. I can highly recommend it. A different take on first encounter with aliens.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FBRRL2Z