FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Two tech history book reviews for ya

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Where Wizards Stay Up Late - The Origins of the Internet:
http://www.amazon.com/Where-Wizards-Sta ... 797&sr=1-1

Dealers of Lightning - Xerox PARC and the Dawn of the Computer Age:
http://www.amazon.com/Dealers-of-Lightn ... 739&sr=8-2

While not necessary to read them both, they do complement each other because they both occur in the same time frame and the same individual - Bob Taylor - is a central story in both.

Bob Taylor was an ARPA (forerunner to DARPA) administrator who was responsible for directing and funding the primary research to create the ARPANet (which eventually evolved into The Internet).

After burning out at ARPA, Bob Taylor went to work for Xerox as the first director for their computer research division (Xerox PARC) and managed a team of brilliant scientists who went on to design the LaserJet printer and the Xerox Alto PC in 1973.

LONG before Windows and Apple, while most computers were still programmed via teletype or punch card and took up a whole room, the Alto had all the elements of a modern PC: It was a PERSONAL computer never designed for timesharing (unheard of at the time), relatively small (about the size of a mini-bar fridge), had a real time video display, a mouse, a light pen, and a graphical interface.

Apple and Microsoft outright stole all these ideas from Xerox. When Apple sued Microsoft more than a decade later for infringing on their patent on a graphical interface, Microsoft's defense was basically "we didn't steal it from you, we both stole it from Xerox".

While Xerox has made a fortune from LaserJet patents, the bean counters never saw the future in a "personal" computer. The Alto was 10 years ahead of it's time. Xerox management could not see a day when people would want or need a "personal" computer and didn't believe that it would ever be cost effective.

The Alto itself was too expensive to actually market in 1973 and was used in-house at PARC, where they were all networked together and allowed researchers to collaborate. It was also used for advanced graphical imaging research. PARC was an "idea factory" and the Alto's designers understood that while a personal computer for the masses was too expensive in 1973, in 10 years the cost of memory would be cheap enough to make it practical to put one in every home and office (they were right). Some of the Alto's designers even foresaw the coming of the laptop computer.

It's really fascinating to read both these books back to back (I would recommend starting with "Where Wizards Stay Up Late" to stay in chronological order). Wizards is a better written book, but they're both a good read. Lots of fun behind the scenes stories of hands-on engineers trying to make things work.

One funny story is that when Xerox PARC was created, and needed to decide on what time sharing computer to buy for their offices, Bob Taylor and his computer engineers picked the DEC PDP-10 (DEC was a direct competitor to Xerox) instead of the computer made by Xerox's computer division. Their reasoning, being engineers and not understanding corporate politics, was that the PDP-10 was the better computer for the job. This would be equivalent today to everyone working at Microsoft's research division ordering Macs.

Since management balked at the request, the engineers at PARC did the most logical thing they could think of: they built their own clone of the DEC PDP10 - improving on it while they were at it. Building it from scratch in less than a year for about the same money as a new PDP-10 would have cost ($750,000), and in the process designing a new memory system for it built around a new product that a fledgling company called Intel was trying to market: Dynamic RAM.

Xerox Alto Computer:
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Thanks for the reviews FP. I generally lean toward Fiction but after the book I'm reading now, I probably going to need a break from it. The two you reviewed look good.

A bit off topic: I know that many of us are avid readers. Would this warrant a Sticky where we could post our book reviews and recommendations?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Maybe a book review forum?
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Totally going to get these. Right up my alley. Good review too.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Maybe a book review forum?
That would be great if enough members agree and are willing to contribute.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I'm into that. I usually read one book a month (can only spend so much time in the bathroom).
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I'm always in favor of a new forum.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'm still reading "Dealers of Lightning" and it's just amazing what these guys accomplished in the early 70s.

The story of how the laser printer was invented is amazing. The guy responsible for this was basically ostracized at Xerox's old xerographic research division, which was still using visible white light to make xerox copies with a resolution of 100 DPI.

This guy was experimenting with early lasers and realized you could scan a line at a time on a standard copier drum and increase the speed and resolution dramatically (the first prototype later on easily did 500 DPI), and that it would be easy to interface this to a computer to make a printer and not just a copier. His superiors laughed at him and told him to forget lasers and go back to real research or he'd lose his lab assistants. When he got re-assigned to "the hippy kooks" at Xerox PARC, they gave him cart Blanche.

The Alto computer was so ahead of it's time it's absurd. The way the processor was used to refresh and control all other devices and peripherals using interrupts (the way all modern PCs work) and designing a system where each pixel on the screen represented on bit in memory were completely revolutionary, and is the way all future PCs would function - even today.

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Yeah, it's amazing from what I've read on related articles how far ahead some stuff really was.

Oh & for anyone who's interested, but don't want to put down the money for it, Google Books has Where Wizards Stay Up Late for viewing.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The book keeps getting better. These guys invented EVERYTHING 8 - 10 years before it's time. They invented 10-Base-T Ethernet at Xerox PARC (this is the old 10 Mbit coax ethernet some of you old farts might still remember). I had no idea. Before that you had to run something like a 40 conductor cable between computers and the most a network would support was 10 computers, and you had to take down the whole network and rewire it if you had to add a new computer.

They had it all: personal PCs with hi-res graphics, a graphical operating system, mice, digitizer tablets, ethernet, network laser printers, you name it. There were even people working on the conceptual idea for laptops and tablets - all in the early 70s.

Unfortunately the idiot bean counters at Xerox corporate didn't understand the technology that was being developed at PARC and the only thing that Xerox ever really made any money from was laser printer patents. Everything else they let other people basically steal from them because they didn't believe there would ever be a demand for a "personal" computer.

If things had gone differently, "Xerox PC" might have been the personal computer of the 80s instead of the IBM PC, and maybe there wouldn't have been a Microsoft, and Apple may have been sued by Xerox for stealing their GUI.

It cost $12K to build an Alto computer in 1972 - cheap enough that PARC built one for each researcher working at their lab (40+). The Alto's designers predicted (correctly!) that in 10 years the cost of a similar computer would be 1/10th of that due to Moore's Law and the rapidly falling cost of RAM. The basic design was done and prototyped in THREE MONTHS! The Alto was so simple to build that if you worked at PARC and you wanted one delivered early to your lab, they would hand you the parts and you could build it yourself.

Although it was a versatile scientific graphic workstation, it was simple enough to use that you could give it to a child. One of the research divisions involved in the Alto's design was designing programming languages that would be intuitive for children to use, and several Altos were used in research projects involving children and simple programming languages.

The researchers even foresaw many of the current uses of computers: book readers, music players, game machines, etc.

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

So similar to the Amiga story.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Getting close to the end now. It's a big book, and I'm always working on multiple books at the same time (reading this along with two fiction books and listening to another fiction audiobook).

They're up to the late 70s and the mini PC/Word Processor wars with IBM. Xerox abandoned the Alto (although they did eventually have a limited run of Alto IIIs for internal company use and select customers). Instead corporate tried to push the design of an whole office system called the Star which consisted of servers, workstations, printers, and drives - all separate like the traditional IBM design. It was also a massive flop. No one in upper management understood the concept of a stand-alone PC or Word processor.

IBM and Xerox were actively trying to steal each other's ideas during the late 70s & early 80s, and Xerox had a hard time keeping the "hippies" at PARC from showing off all their cool ideas to friends or anyone else who popped in to say hello (like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates). They eventually got VERY draconian with security.

Reading this made a bit nostalgic because in the early 80s I was an audio visual manager working at the Omni Hotel in Miami. We often had big IBM conventions and I remember the ridiculous security restrictions imposed by IBM on all the hotel staff. Rooms were scanned for bugs, and we had to provide blueprints so that wires could be traced. Projection booths that weren't being used had to be nailed shut. Anyone who needed to enter a meeting room had to have a special pass and had to be vetted by IBM's personal security company. They had armed security guards protecting the entrances and the equipment to ensure that only people with authorization got near them. Projectionists in projection booths had to have an armed security guard with them to ensure they weren't filming or recording anything.

One of our projectionists lost his pass and they barred him from working the convention which required me to call around for a last minute replacement for him.

The funny thing is that in most of the meeting rooms, the equipment on display were wooden mockups. The only real computers were in executive suites where they only allowed a few people in at a time.

What I have a particularly fond memory of was seeing two VERY early IBM portable PC prototypes around '79. in one of these executive suites (I had to replace a bulb in a slide projector in there while the demo was going on). This wasn't an actual product but a "proof-of-concept like the - a sneak peak at some of the advanced R&D IBM was working on. This was an all-in-one PC the size of a suitcase with a built-in 5" monochome display (foreshadowing the look of the future IBM and Compaq "luggables"), a 5 1/4" drive, a built-in printer, and it was running CP/M. They had the cover off of one of them and the innards were completely custom wire wrapped prototypes with no PC boards - just a crows nest of wires. They wouldn't let me linger for long, unfortunately.

Anyway, although the Xerox Star was a flop, it definitely gave people an early peek at what graphical interfaces would look like in the future. It was a fully mouse driven operating system that looks so much like the future Mac OS, it's ridiculous.

The trouble with the Star is that it was not a stand alone PC - it was meant to work with a server and an entire network of devices it was dependent on, and thus very pricey.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The researchers at PARC wanted to offer a marketable version of the Alto it in the later 70's as the Alto III which would be a full blown personal computer with word processing, email, WYSIWYG laser printing, ethernet, basically everything a modern PC does, and they specifically coined the term "paperless office".

The sales management at Xerox was used to leasing (not selling) copiers. Their commissions were based on the numbers of copies a customer made, and they abhorred the very idea of a "paperless" office.

PARC also tried offering the Alto III as a dedicated word processor. Again they met resistance from the sales division who couldn't imagine trying to talk people out of using typewriters.

Talk about disconnect.

This is a 1974 promotional video for the original Alto. It was never sold as a product, but was used extensively in-house at PARC by the staff of researchers for general computing, email, word processing, even playing games. The researchers at PARC preferred it over their time-sharing mainframe which, although the mainframe was more powerful, you could never have full access to it's resources. The Alto, underpowered as it was, was all yours, and had (what was for that time) a stunning video display:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M013_1TQ_5g

Two Altos networked together for multiplayer gaming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7chDIySXK2Q

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Maybe a book review forum?
Works for me....many people here read the odd book or two :)
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>