Michael Koryta: So Cold the River

Post your book reviews here
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

As a filmmaker, Eric Shaw always had an eye for the shot. However, Eric's lack of self control cost him his job in LA. Now only finding work filming weddings and spicing together funeral slide shows, Eric is depressed and lives apart from his wife Claire. Eric has a gift of picking up energy from objects. For example, he just knows when a photo or place in important. This has allowed him to excel in making movies and slide shows. After a funeral, he is approached by Alyssa Bradford, who was impressed (and surprised) by the slide show for her sister-in-law, to make a movie about her husband's father, Campbell Bradford. All that is known about his life is that he left the town of West Baden with $14 and a bottle of Pluto water in his pocket, hopped a train to Chicago, and became prosperous. She gives him the bottle of Pluto Water that Campbell has kept locked away all these years in hopes it would help Eric's investigation. Curious about how an 80 year old bottle of mineral water would taste, Eric ingests a bit of the water. This starts a train of events that lead Eric into a past shrouded in secrets as he begins to uncover the life of Campbell Bradford and is forced to face is own demons.

While some reviews have compared this to Stephen King's works, I think So Cold the River ought to be reviewed on its own without such comparisons. This is not a King work and King fans, like myself, would be disappointed if this was. However, So Cold the River is a good ghost story and I recommend it. It's imaginative with rememberable characters and vivid settings.