Stephen King: Mile 81 (Short Story)

Post your book reviews here
Err
Life Member

Stephen King: Mile 81 (Short Story)

Post by Err »

Stephen King: Mile 81

I read this today and this is one of Kings worst. Don't bother trying to get this one. I wasted $2.99 and an hour on this story. I'm a huge King fan also. I enjoyed Under the Dome and thought the short story collection Full Dark No Stars was terrific. I've read almost all of his novels but this last effort was the most disappointing read to date.

If you're interested, read the summary below:

The story starts off classic King with lots of insight into 10 year-old Peter. Peter's 12 year-old brother has left him to go play with his friends at the gravel pit. Peter, who's parents are at work, is left to his own devices as all his friends are on vacation. He decides to explore the closed down rest stop at mile 81 marker on the nearby interstate. On his way, he finds remnants of the "big kids" exploits including a half full bottle of vodka, which he takes and places into his saddlebag. Among the items in his saddlebag are an American Vampire comic and a magnifying glass. Pete has discovered how to start fires with it and offers to show his older brother's friends earlier but is told that it's a "baby trick."

Pete figures out how to get into the abandoned Burger King and finds more evidence of the "big kids" exploits including Hustler pictures on the wall and stained mattresses pushed together. He plays darts using a Justin Beiber cardboard cutout as the board and then decides to try the Vodka. After about 4 swigs he begins to feel it. He tries to play darts again, misses terribly, and then falls asleep. To this point, I'm into the story and am wondering what's going to happen.

A mud-covered station wagon crashes into the barrels that span the on ramp into the rest stop. Pete is asleep so he doesn't hear it happen. Next, a born again insurance salesman happens upon the accident and wanting to be the good Samaritan, stops to offer help. The car eats him leaving behind his wedding band and cell phone. The next victim is an overweight, gay, former female mud wrestler who now lives on a farm with her life partner. She's on her way back from buying a new horse. She pulls over, sets out her distress markers, and approaches the car. When she sees the cell phone, she reaches down to pick it up and as her dress touches the car she is pulled in and eaten. Her cell phone comes to rest beside the one belonging to the insurance salesman. Pete is still asleep even though he heard the screams from far off.

Next a family of four happen upon the scene. The two children are a girl (Rachel) of 6 and a boy (Blake) of 4. They see the horse trailer and recognize it belonging to the nice woman they met earlier who let the children pet her horse. They stop, see no sign of anyone, so the father gets out to investigate. He gets eaten by the car and as he's getting devoured, the wife comes to his aid only to meet her demise. Of course, this happens in front of the children. Rachel takes charge, gets Blake from the car and approaches the station wagon. The door opens for them but she grabs a cell phone and runs away as the spare tire transforms into a tentacle and tries to grab them. She calls 911 and speaks to a dispatcher who doesn't believe them at first but sends an officer. Pete is now awake due to Rachel's and Blake's screams.

The State Trooper gets to the scene, puts the children in the car, calls for backup, and approaches the car, gun drawn. He heads the warnings of Rachel and doesn't touch the car but when he uses his gun to pry open the door further, he's pulled in and eaten. Peter sees this happen and gets the two children to walk to him taking a wide berth of the station wagon. There are other officers on the way because the last thing the trooper did was tell Rachel to shout "30 officer down" into the mic should anything happen. Peter can hear the sirens and knows they will be eaten too because grown-ups don't believe kids. He decides to try to set the car on fire with his magnifying glass. It works. The car catches flame, jumps up into the sky, and disappears in the most letdown ending I've ever read. Rachel and Blake kiss Peter who decides his adventure was better than what his brother did that day.

This part killed me: As the new trooper approaches, Pete turns to Rachel and asks about his breath. She says he may want to get some mints and Pete responds that he was going to get some teaberry gum. Rachel says that should work. THE END. Seriously, that's how it ended. How in the hell would a 6 year old know if gum would cover up the smell of alcohol?

The book also includes a preview of 11/22/63. I haven't read that yet and am debating reading giving it a go. I'm a bit annoyed because I think Mile 81 was just a marketing ploy to promote his new novel. The thing is that I was going to buy it anyway and probably still will.

If you want an excellent novel about a car that kills people, get From a Buick 8.