Stephen King: 11/22/63

Post your book reviews here
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

The assignation of JFK on November 22, 1963 is one of the most defining moments in United States history. Many have speculated what would've happened if he'd lived and many more have speculated as to who killed him. I was apprehensive going into Kings new novel; especially after the abysmal short story Mile 81. I'm happy to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. If I were to rate it, I'd place it up with The Stand, IT, and Insomnia. It's really that good.

Jake Epping is an English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine in 2011. He also teaches GED classes for extra money and aside from his alcoholic wife who recently left him for a man she met in an AA meeting has lead an unassuming life. Jake frequents a diner ran by Al Templeton. One day he receives a phone call from Al asking him to come to the diner. When he arrives, he finds a very sick man who just the day before was healthy and planning to take a vacation. This is when Jake learns of a secret in the back of Al's pantry; a secret that will change Jake's life forever.

Al discovered a portal to the past. The particular doorway leads to Lisbon Falls as it was on September 8, 1956. Each time you pass through, you always appear at the same date. Upon returning, no matter how long you stay, you have only been gone for two minutes. You can also carry thing back from the past and the past seems to reset every time you go back. This is the reason Al has been able to run a profitable business. He goes back to 1956 and buys his supplies. Since the past resets, he's been serving the same meat for years.

Al decided to use this portal to stop the assignation of JFK. He followed leads up until a few months before JFK's date with death but had to return due to developing lung cancer. This is why he's called Jake. He wants him to finish what he started. Jake is about to find out how hard the past resists changing.

This book is less about JFK's assignation and more about Jake Epping. You won't find long conspiracy theories in the book. King also handles the Nostalgia of the era very well. He talks about the good thing as well as the racism and pollution of the time. The book is also not without humor. One instance is as Jake is discussing time travel with Al, he asked Al about the grandfather paradox to with Al responds, "Why the f*** would you do that?" All of the characters in the book are very well developed. You care about Jake and feel what he feels as he tries to complete his mission. King also ties in references to other works, which I always enjoy. I can't talk too much more about the Novel without giving a lot away. I'll end this review with my favorite quote from 11/22/63, location 10046-50, Kindle edition:
For a moment everything was clear, and when that happens you see that the world is barely there at all. Don't we all secretly know this? It's a perfectly balanced mechanism of shouts and echoes pretending to be wheels and cogs, a dreamclock chiming beneath a mystery-glass we call life. Behind it? Below it and around it? Chaos, storms. Men with hammers, men with knives, men with guns. Women who twist what they cannot dominate and belittle what they cannot understand. A universe of horror and loss surrounding a single lighted stage where mortals dance in defiance of the dark.