Erin Morgenstern: The Night Circus

Post your book reviews here
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus is a vivid tale telling the story of two magicians who are pitted against each other in a game where there may only be one left standing. Their venue is a circus named Le Cirque des Rêves that only opens at dusk and closes at dawn. The story opens with Celia turning up a her father's doorstep after her mother's passing. Her father is Prospero the Enchanter and dazzles his audiences with illusions that are unmatched by any other magician. The reason for this is that the magic is real and Celia has inherited his powers. One evening, Prospero the Enchanter and rival Mr. A.H decide to have a wager one whether magic is better if it is inherited or if it can be taught and Prospero offers his daughter as one of the participants. Mr. A.H accepts and then adopts a boy named Marco to teach him about magic. The two children mature never meeting or even being told the rules of the game. A circus is conceived and the two "battle" by creating attractions that are more marvelous than the last. The Circus grows and attracts a cult following while the competitors attempt to outdo one another. The two eventually meet and fall in love. However since they are bound by the competition, they have to find a way to be together before one of them dies.

The book is nonlinear at times but each chapter is headed with the date. My synopsis doesn't do the story justice as there are many interesting and vivid characters throughout the story. The description of the circus and the attractions is amazing. One of my favorites is a tent filled with containers that once opened give the patrons sensations of being on a place like a beach or sitting in front of a fireplace. Another is called the "Pool of Tears" where the patron picks up a smooth stone and as they approach the still pool begin to feel depressed like they are remembering a heavy burden. Once the stone is tossed into the pool, the burden is lifted. I really enjoyed this story and highly recommend it.