Some Cli-fi books from Jeff Masters at Wunderground

Post your book reviews here
wvjohn

Some Cli-fi books from Jeff Masters at Wunderground

Post by wvjohn »

If your climate science enthusiast’s reading taste runs more towards fiction, there is a whole new genre of climate fiction called “cli-fi” that has emerged in recent years. The best book I’ve read in this genre so far is “Flight Behavior” by Barbara Kingsolver. Kingsolver's story concerns a young wife and mother on a failing farm in rural Tennessee who experiences something she cannot explain—the mass migration of monarch butterflies from Mexico to new overwintering grounds in Tennessee. Her discovery energizes various competing factions—religious leaders, climate scientists, environmentalists, politicians—trapping her in the center of the conflict and ultimately opening up her world. Given the huge crash in monarch butterfly numbers in 2013, this novel is particularly timely. “Flight Behavior” is $10.63 in paperback from Amazon. I’ve read two other works of “cli-fi” this year that I enjoyed. ”Year of the Bad Decision” by Charles Sobczak tells the story of a geoengineering project in the year 2043 gone horribly wrong. ”A Change in the Weather” by Raymond Welch is set in 2028, and focuses on an Orwellian U.S. society that comes about in response to severe climate change.
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>