Looking for an external SCSI enclosure...

Discussions and help regarding overclocking, motherboards, peripherals, AMD and INTEL CPU's
Schwartz

Post by Schwartz »

Can someone reccomend a high quality, good looking external enclosure with a power supply and fan that I could put my SCSI Plextor 12/4/32 burner in? I have seen a few but am unsure of what would be good to go with. I have an Adaptec 29160N so I guess it would just be a matter of getting the enclosure and cable and hooking it up. Thanks...
Schwartz

Post by Schwartz »

I found these made by Antec:

http://www.antec-inc.com/product/datast ... ytank.html

Now WTF one do I need? My card has an external High-Density, 50-pin legacy SCSI connector but I'm not sure which enclosure would work. I'm thinking it would be this one KS002 C2-SCSI II 761345-94282-9 but I am not sure.
DocSilly

Post by DocSilly »

I would also think the SCSI II ... send an email to their support just to make sure ;)

Make sure to keep in mind that Ultra SCSI lenth limitations is 1.5m when I'm not mistaken.
Schwartz

Post by Schwartz »

I posted on storage review and somebody that had one told me I was right in my guess so I ordered one tonight. I'll have to let you know how it is. It is damn near impossible to find any reviews on these things and the descriptions of them on their websites are very vague. Oh yeah, the case comes with the cable and it is going to be sitting right next to my case so length shouldn't be a problem for me. But you are right I was reading about it lastnight and the site I was looking at kept harping on the length of the cable being limited.

[Edited by Schwartz on 01-08-2001 at 01:24 AM]
Schwartz

Post by Schwartz »

Well, I got the Antec case. The SCSI II version had the HD50 connectors just like I needed. It did NOT come with the cable to hook it up to the PC. It says in big bold letters on their website that cables ARE included. I guess they meant the internal 50 pin but they don't tell you that. I ended up getting a cable made by Adaptec (or at least marketed by) that is 6ft long and an active terminator. My DVD drive didn't come in yet but the burner is working great in the new case.