Not usre which direction to head.

Discussions and help regarding overclocking, motherboards, peripherals, AMD and INTEL CPU's
Budreaux
Genuine Member

Not usre which direction to head.

Post by Budreaux »

I have the Abit NF7-S v2 board.. it;s worked very well for nearly 2 years now. I'm running 2 WD Carvier 120gb SATAs in Raid (striped)....... the last couple weeks, my monitor hasn;t been wanting to come on, but after a little on-offs, itwould come on... it seems to be doing fine on another tower. Well, this evening, I come home nad we had a power failure and as I turn my comp on, I get the failure to load meeasge, use LAst KNown Config., or Boot Normally screen. I can't get it to load. I'm not sure if it's the MB or 1 of the HDs. If 2 HDs are in raid and one goes bad, will it not recognize either.. Iknow that all information is shared between the two, making them virtually one HD... but I'm at a loss at howto troubleshoot this to determine the defective part. I don;t have a 2nd pair of SATAs to test and the info on these is rather important...... no, I don;t have backup images of them either, at least not to the point at which I need to save the information I need on them. I have some Tax information that needs updating...and I can;t afford to loose it, unless I have to.

How would I go about determining if the Raid controller ont he board went out, if the HDs went out..etc.
the baord posts fine, I can;t find anything wrong.. at start up, it lists my HDs, but after that, it acts as thought there aren;t any installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Abit NF7-S
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (Barton)
1 gig Geil PC3500
Western Digital 2 x 120g SATA HD Raid_0
NEC DVD +/- RW
Sapphire's Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
S.B. Audigy2 ZS soundcard
ANTEC Sonota case
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Sounds like you need to do a repair install of XP.. But if one of your drives is bad, your data is gone. Nothing you can do about it. That's one of the bad things about a Raid array. So try a repair install and see if that gets you back up and running.. Good Luck..

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
Budreaux
Genuine Member

Post by Budreaux »

I had already tried that.. it loaded all the files and when it went to start, it said there was no drive.

[edit] Nix that.. gonna try it again..... make sure I didn;t do something wrong...

Question though.. if I'm doing a repair. doI have to reinstall the Raid Drivers as well?

[edit #2]
Ok, I tried the repair.. it starts installing files then gets to a point and tells me I have no drives installed....
Now.. it;s possible it's 1 of the 2 harddrives, but is it alos possible that it;s the raid controller of the board?
If so, anyone know how I would go about checking that?
The reason I question it is because of the apparant issue witht he Monitor.... I have the same monitor hooked up and using it right now, but if I put it on the onei'm working on, it takes a few tries, if at all, to get it to power on.
Abit NF7-S
1 gig Geil PC3500
NEC DVD +/- RW
ANTEC Sonota case
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

You have to install the raid drivers for it to see the raid array..
PM before Email People!!
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
Budreaux
Genuine Member

Post by Budreaux »

Thanks Ego.. it seems that the Raod driver was somehow lost..... the Repair corrected the problem....
Thank the Lord, I can finish up my taxes now.......

Thanks again for the quick replies.
Abit NF7-S
1 gig Geil PC3500
NEC DVD +/- RW
ANTEC Sonota case
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

np, glad it got you fixed up and straightened out. :)

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!