new OC

Discussions and help regarding overclocking, motherboards, peripherals, AMD and INTEL CPU's
fogus

new OC

Post by fogus »

hey guys, just did an overclock on my AMD athlon 64 bit 2800+ 1.8 Newcastle. it is now at 2.025 ghZ. i changed it from 200 mhz fsb to 225. the temp did not change noticably (~50C before and after). comp has run fairly stable for about an hour so far. no signs of anything different.

anyones opinions? did i over do it for my first overclock? can i push it much further?

i went budget on my CPU because 64 bit was expensive and i wanted to upgrade later, but i now find that there are very few socket 754 CPU's left. i told myself i would be happy with an amd 2 ghz 64 bit processor, and very happy with a 2.2 or above.
~fogus
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Small overclock, if your happy with the performance then leave it there. My 3000+ Winchester is clocked at 2.45ghz (factory 1.8ghz) running 51c at full load. If your temp is 50c at idle then you need to upgrade your cpu cooling system.
[email="chevelle.h@gmail.com"][color="red"]MAIL[/color][/email]
fogus

Post by fogus »

yeah, i have been debating that for a while. im just using factory cooling. i was too nervous to try something else.
~fogus
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

The zalman cpu cooler is very effective but heavy. If the mounting options on your motherboard are wimpy it would be too heavy though. Silverstone makes a kick a-- heatpipe cooler also. I have one on my main rig. Ended up with the same temps I had with a water cooling system. Simple to install also. It is called the nitrogon or something like that. They make a version just for p4's that looks similar. The one that says "2.0" is the multiple processor one.
[email="chevelle.h@gmail.com"][color="red"]MAIL[/color][/email]
fogus

Post by fogus »

k, i will look into those. my bro has told me lots about the zalman, i have seen it too. looks very cool. yeah, he told me about the weight problems too.

he says he is getting a cpu to OC and he is getting a $60 heatsynk and a $20 fan for it, and that it is supposed to be a really good combo. he is at a band practice right now, ill aks him to give a post on what model and make they are so you can advise us to get them or not. he wanted to get an amd 64 3400 754. that would make his computer different from mine in only that respect (we have clones of everything. loved basicly everything we got and he just wanted my comp so bad... LOL).
~fogus
Shmithers

Post by Shmithers »