Amd Rma....

Discussions and help regarding overclocking, motherboards, peripherals, AMD and INTEL CPU's
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Amd Rma....

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Welp, not sure how it happened, but I was building a rig for a client, installed the CPU as normal installed the stock HS/F as you normally would and what not. Hooked up all my wires and connections, all brand new parts. Hit the power button and started to smell something burning, unplugged the cord from the wall, and noticed some smoke coming from under the HS/F.. Welp, to cut to the chase, the CPU is Fried.. First one I've ever had do what this one did. Don't know how it happened or why. Big black spot on the bottom of the CPU, the motherboard is still in tact as are all the other parts (lucky?). I dropped an old Athlon 750 in it a few hours later with all the same parts and it fired right up, no problems. Any idea what might have caused this? Would I have any chance of an RMA with AMD? I'm assuming that the CPU was faulty/defective, but don't know if I have any chance of getting them to replace it?

Any Thoughts?

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
nitro237

Post by nitro237 »

Since it's new, the vendor should warranty it.

eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Originally posted by nitro237
Since it's new, the vendor should warranty it.

Yah, I felt the same way, but NewEgg provides no warranty services on CPUs, at least not retail ones.
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
the_binary_soul
Goober Member

Post by the_binary_soul »

Try AMDs RMA service and find out what happens. If their online forum rejects your request call them up and demand they let you send it for testings or some such. I don't know if they can test it for a factory defect after its died like that but you can try.