Gigabyte GA-K8NSC Question

Discussions and help regarding overclocking, motherboards, peripherals, AMD and INTEL CPU's
Petlydecker
Genuine Member

Gigabyte GA-K8NSC Question

Post by Petlydecker »

Hello,

I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC board. It has 2 com ports and on of them it won't let me install the driver (yellow exclamation mark). It says the device cannot find enough free resources to use. It is saying if I want to use it I need to disable another device. Does this have to do with IRQ's? It seems the BIOS is handling them or should I try a different method. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

On the face of it, it would seem to be an IRQ issue, but if they're on-board COM ports (not an add-on card) then there should be no conflict with any other devices on the mobo. However you may have a conflict with another add-on card.

COM ports are fussy - they HAVE to be a certain IRQ for a certain COM port (usually IRQ 3 & 4 are reserved for the COM ports). If you have a modem or some other device that's grabbing that IRQ (for instance a PCI modem) then the COM port may not work until you force the other device to use a different one. COM ports also have an address but that's usually not in conflict with anything else.

Hope this helps...
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Petlydecker
Genuine Member

Thank you

Post by Petlydecker »

Thanks for your Help!