Power problem

Discussions and help regarding overclocking, motherboards, peripherals, AMD and INTEL CPU's
impuresoul2k3

Power problem

Post by impuresoul2k3 »

Alright, here's the problem:

I was working on my computer. I decided to reset the cmos settings(don't remember why right now, I went on vacation for 2weeks the day after it happened). Long story short when I put the jumper on for cmos reset the computer came on. Thinking it wasn't supposed to do that I shut it off right away. Now when I plug it in only the power light for the mobo comes on, nothing else responds. No lights on the front, power supply doesn't come on, no fans spin up.

Any ideas?

PS: This is an Asus A7v333
Athlon 3500+
1.5gb PC4200 Ram
nVidia 7600GS
DVD+-R/RW Dual Layer
Segate 160gb HD
Sweet 15" CRT!

Heat
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You MUST pull the power plug before doing a CMOS reset! You may have shorted the PSU or the mobo.

I assume you've put the CMOS reset jumper back where it's supposed to be for normal operation?

Try resetting the CMOS again, but pull the power plug first or turn off the kill switch on the back of the PSU if there is on (quality PSUs all have a kill switch).

If that doesn't work check the connection for the power switch to the mobo. In you panic when it turned on when you were resetting the CMOS, you may have just jerked the power switch connector off the mobo header. It's easy to do.

If that's not it then try unplugging ALL cables (drives, lights, everything) except the mobo power cable and the power switch, and pull ALL cards except the vid card.

If that doesn't work you need to test the PSU to see if it's dead. Ideally a PSU tester is what you want to use. It plugs into the mobo connector on the PSU and the PSU should come on.

You could also connect a known good PSU to the mobo or - conversely - a known good mobo to the PSU but this risks damaging another PSU or mobo if you do indeed have a short circuit.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "