Overclock Questions

Discussions and help regarding overclocking, motherboards, peripherals, AMD and INTEL CPU's
ronobono
Goober Member

Overclock Questions

Post by ronobono »

First off im new to overclocking (first time)...I have a few questions if anyone will be nice enough to help me...On my asus A7V8X-MX mobo I have some switchs to set the mhz my cpu gets. When I have it set at the defualt (100 mhz) it says my cpu is a amd athlon1500+1.3 ghz...Set on the highest 166.67 mhz it shows amd 2200+ 2.1ghz...I have been running it on the highest and my pc probe says my temp is ok at 50c/122f.
Also pc probe says my cpu is 3000mhz max speed
so my questions are
1.is my cpu temp ok(dont want to start a fire)
2.is this to much to overclock it if not is there a way for my to take it higher

thanx for any help :)
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Welcome to PCA.

Unless you have a Athlon 1500 CPU the FSB (Front Side Bus) should be set to 133. I'm willing to bet that you actually have a 2200. In that case that is not overclocking - that's the NORMAL FSB clock speed for that CPU.

50C is more than fine. I wouldn't worry unless it's over 65 C.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Yah, what FP said. What CPU do you actually have? That would help. Unless it's a T-Bred B or a Barton I would not expect much of an overclock out of it. I had two XP1700+ T-Bred Bs that would OC to 2.2ghz on air w/stock voltage. Somebody on the forums has them now. I also have two XP2500+ Bartons one locked, one unlocked. The locked on is just sitting on the shelf and I could hit 2.1ghz with it on air. The unlocked one I have hit 2.4ghz on air but it's very picked about the temp in the room so I just leave it at 2.2ghz and it runs all day like that. So just let us know what CPU you have and that will help.

eGo

:Q
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
ronobono
Goober Member

Post by ronobono »

Ok thanx for the post man....At 133mhz it says I have 1700+...So if the cpu is a 2700 and its not really overclocked then how do i overclock it? or should I not even try lol
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Ok.. That sheds a little light on things.. Some bios will read the speeds of the CPU and determine things differently. A while back, AMD released a two different speed CPUs for the different ranges and the BIOS manufacturer may just have a different one. A 2700+ default should be 166 FSB. If you can get it to 200 FSB it will probably take it and you'll be smokin! :D

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
ronobono
Goober Member

Post by ronobono »

See I bought my computer off ebay and im not sure what kindof cpu exactly..How do i know what kind it is? All it says is amd athlon xp 2700+ 2.16 ghz (in the system menu)
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Well, AMD doesn't really ID their chips like Intel does.. For an intel it will tell you what speed the chip is supposed to be and then what it's actually running at.. With AMD, short of taking the Heat Sink off and looking I'm not sure of a way to tell... :(

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
joeyll
Genuine Member

Post by joeyll »

You can download a really informative program called SiSoftware Sandra at this link: http://www.majorgeeks.com/SiSoftware_Sa ... d4664.html

There will be a section under Information Modules called CPU and BIO Information. Just double click it and wait about 30 seconds while it gathers all the cpu's info. It'll tell you exactly what cpu you have and anything else you want to know about it or any other piece of hardware on your computer. Its a free download btw.

Joey
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Does anyone know is SiSoft Sandra will ID an AMD CPU even if it's incorrectly clocked? My bedroom media pc got borked the other day and CMOS got reset. The mobo seems to be incorrectly detecting the CPU. I know it's either an AMD 2000 or an AMD 2200, but the system either tries to detect it as a 1600 or something over a 2200 (depending on how you have the FSB set). I've left it on 100Mhz FSB for now so it runs (it'll lockup at 133) but I know it's a 133 FSB CPU. I just need to set it up properly but I don't want to pull off the heatsink (it's a pain on that system).
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Originally posted by FlyingPenguin
Does anyone know is SiSoft Sandra will ID an AMD CPU even if it's incorrectly clocked? My bedroom media pc got borked the other day and CMOS got reset. The mobo seems to be incorrectly detecting the CPU. I know it's either an AMD 2000 or an AMD 2200, but the system either tries to detect it as a 1600 or something over a 2200 (depending on how you have the FSB set). I've left it on 100Mhz FSB for now so it runs (it'll lockup at 133) but I know it's a 133 FSB CPU. I just need to set it up properly but I don't want to pull off the heatsink (it's a pain on that system).

Just checked the version that I have (latest one I belive) does not.. It sees my CPU as a 3000+ and it's a Barton 2500+.. So nope.. I don't think AMD really ever put anything into the chip that says what they're supposed to be.. :(

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!