Will this CPU work on my MOBO??

Discussions and help regarding overclocking, motherboards, peripherals, AMD and INTEL CPU's
UK1nation
Genuine Member

Will this CPU work on my MOBO??

Post by UK1nation »

Hello all,

i wanted to upgrade my CPU, but cant seem to find an answer via manufactorers sites! :(

My MOBO specs:

Motherboard manufacturer's name: ASUS P5LP-LE
HP/Compaq name: Lithium-UL8E
CPU Socket: 775
Processor: Supports Pentium D (Smithfield) up to 3.2 GHz and Pentium4
(Prescott) up to 580 and 670
System bus: 533 MHz, 800 MHz, 1066 MHz
Northbridge: Intel 945P
Southbridge: Intel I/O Controller Hub 7
Memory: Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
PC2 4200 (533 MHz) and PC2 5300 (667 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs 1.8v DDR2 SDRAM

at the moment i have a Intel Pentium 4 660 - Prescott
(Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.60GHz), LGA775, Technology 90 nm

WILL MY MOBO WORK WITH THIS CPU?:

Intel Pentium D Processor EE 965, 3.73 GHz, 1066 FSB, 775pin, 4MB cache
BUT has technology: 65 nm

grateful for any answers people!! cheers!
HP Pavilion 061 EG195AA-B1U d4179.se
INTEL P4 -(HT technology), 3,60GHZ,800mhz FSB,
(4x) 512MB PC4200 DDR-533 ram. (2x)160GB SATAII drives. 2x 250GB SATAII drives (1x) 160GB external hard drive. Nvidia GeForce 7800GTX 256MB graphic card. HP dvd burner 'with LIGHTSCRIBE'. HP 23" flat screen.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I removed the black text from the mobo description UK. Most of us use us the black BBS theme and that makes black text disappear. Actually since you never know what theme someone is using, you should avoid color text and let the BBS use the default.

ANYWAY since that's an HP/Compaq OEM mobo you have to look up the specs on HP's website. Here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... c=en&cc=us

Specs SEEM to imply it can take a Pentium D 9x CPU, but not sure (I am assuming that "Pentium D 9x00" implies all 900 series CPUs).

But the EE CPU is an "Extreme Edition" CPU. Not sure if an OEM mobo is going to handle that. Even if it does you may need to update the BIOS.

No guarantees unless you google around and find a post by someone who has that CPU and mobo who claims he got it working.

Me personally I wouldn't even try upgrading an OEM mobo. They tend not to like CPU upgrades.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay, looks like there's multiple versions of your mobo (same model, different code name). If you have this one the answer is a definite no:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/gene ... =c00379422

I really wouldn't try. OEM mobo CPU upgrades are a minefield. Save up some money for a new mobo.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

In my experience, ALL HP/Compaq PCs do not take well to any processor other than one of the same model that it came with. I've tried several times in the past to upgrade the CPUs for them and never been able to get them to post..

GL!

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
ZYFER

Post by ZYFER »

Hey FP, check the pictures of both those boards there. If you look at the bottem of where it shows the revision, they are both the same.

It is hard to have any sure answer, as I found another link:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/gene ... =c00379422

This is a completely different board, an older revision, which doesn't support anything newer.

If your board does support processors as the one link provided, a Core 2 Duo might just be a better choice for you.

I've never had issues with switching out supported processors with another. Likely though, you tend to need to update the BIOS first.
When all else fails, replace the user.