Overclocking

Discussions and help regarding overclocking, motherboards, peripherals, AMD and INTEL CPU's
Key Keeper

Overclocking

Post by Key Keeper »

Does anyone here even bother with overclocking these days with the speeds that current procs are pumping out? I decided to play a bit last night and managed to get 3.2ghz out of my 2.6ghz chip with no voltage increase and yielded stock mem speeds and timings. I wont clock past stock mem speeds so would have to get some 1066 mem if I wanted to take it any farther. Ive heard of people getting 4ghz out of E6750. Not sure if the performance increase will even be noticed though.
[email="chevelle.h@gmail.com"][color="red"]MAIL[/color][/email]
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

I have a Q6600 and have no idea what to do when it comes to OCing this new stuff lol

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Quad core seem to be a lot more picky from what Ive read. Usually cant get the fsb over 450. Is that a 65nm or 45nm chip?
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

eGoCeNTRoNiX wrote:I have a Q6600 and have no idea what to do when it comes to OCing this new stuff lol

eGo
I have a Q6600 also, and I have not even bothered to experiment. I prefer stability over a small performance gain. I know a guy at work with a Q6600 (2.4GHz quad), and he was able to get 3.2GHz. Now a days, I really don't see the point in overclocking. I think the last time I did an overclock was on the old Abit BH6 using a Celeron. Those overclocked nicely with no issues.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

It was worth it to me. I have an E4300 that is OCd to 3.0ghz. Stable for the last year so far. Now, I wouldn't OC an AMD or higher end Intel CPU though. The Q6600 are known for doing 3.0ghz easily though with a decent power supply.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Tried running my vid card up a bit BIG MISTAKE. Had to uninstall ntune, vid driver, and my symantec in order to get computer working normally again. All good now after driver/av reinstall. Only bumped gpu core from 450 to 500 and mem from 1000mhz to 1100mhz. Guess this vid card has seen better days and needs to be put to rest. The 4870's are looking mighty nice atm.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I wouldn't bother nowadays. Due to the architecture it's a lot trickier and the gain is negligible.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I would, but I wouldn't put so much money into heat sinks & other parts to get a massive overclock. Might as well put that money to a better processor.
nitro237

Post by nitro237 »

I haven't overclocked in a long time, I think my 2500+ Barton to 3200+.

Besides, how fast does one need to play solitaire?

eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

nitro237 wrote:I haven't overclocked in a long time, I think my 2500+ Barton to 3200+.
Ditto..

Still have the 8RDA+ & 2500+ hehe..

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!