dell work station and hypertreading

Discussions and help regarding overclocking, motherboards, peripherals, AMD and INTEL CPU's
two slow

dell work station and hypertreading

Post by two slow »

I recently was given this dell. It needed a video card, pcie, and needs more ram. the HD was wiped so I installed vista ultimate to play with. I was looking at the bios and seen that hyper-threading was disabled. After enabling it then rebooting it BSODed. It won't stay on long enough to see what the problem code is.
Should hyper-threading be on? Should it have been on before the install to work?
<marquee><span style="width: 100%; Filter: Glow(Color=#3333FF, Strength=2)">I was here</span></marquee>
DoPeY5007
Almighty Member

Post by DoPeY5007 »

My thought is it BSOD because windows thought it was a new proc.

I have disabled it and enabled it and re-booted fine in XP.

I would try and disable it just to get the system running. Then the next re-install enable it first
Image Image Image

"I'm seriously going to pummel you until you purr like a bitch-kitten!!"
two slow

Post by two slow »

I disabled it then it booted fine. enabled it and boot to safe mode then reboot and its fine now.
I noticed dells site isn't as user friendly as it used to be. At least I haven't found it to be yet. It used to give better details on the mobo specs like max ram, ram speeds etc.
Thanks for the help.
<marquee><span style="width: 100%; Filter: Glow(Color=#3333FF, Strength=2)">I was here</span></marquee>
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You generally want Hyperthreading on. It allows the CPU to run two threads at the same time ALMOST like having a dual core CPU (not quite though). With Hyperthreading enabled, you actually do see two CPUs in Task Manager.

The problem is that unless your RAM is rock stable, you might have timing issues in Hyperthreading mode.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "