About my Addtronics Case and Cooling

Discussions and help regarding overclocking, motherboards, peripherals, AMD and INTEL CPU's
Kazer
Golden Member

Post by Kazer »

I have an Addtronics 7896a. Since I don't put fans in the 4 bay areas should I cover them up with tape ?
Zak33

Post by Zak33 »

how much dust is in the house? Nasty question but valid. If you have alot of pets, the constant dust hair etc is a PC killer!

Do you mean the PCI slots or the CD drive bays etc on front?

You could try to make a filter for one and close the others up. Best home made filter in the world is that green pot scrubber stuff. You know the abrasive for cleaning pots and pans etc. Well cheap, easy to cut, good flow and filters a lot of stuff, dead easy to wash and dry!

Good air flow is vital if its overclocked, and your is, so air flow in and out is vital. How many bays are there?
A little crazy, but safe enough
www.hexus.net
Kazer
Golden Member

Post by Kazer »

Go to this site to see the case and about the 4 fan holes I'm talking about in the top front sides.

http://www.addtronics.com/7896A.htm
Zak33

WHOOAAAAGHH

Post by Zak33 »

Nice case, plenty holes huh?

OK in all seriuosness you gotta try to work out the route the air is flowing and block off the others.

In the bottom maybe and outta the top I would suggest. If you leve the other open you may as well have just "in" flow on the fans you have ie Power Supply and whatever else!

Its down to noise too! I used to play Thief 2 with the CPU NOT overclocked on my C366 so I could leave off the case fans and hear what was going on ;)

But dust is still my biggest worry, and thats a lot of ventilation for it to get in. Are they filtered at all?
www.hexus.net
Kazer
Golden Member

Post by Kazer »

All my intake fans are filtered and cleaned once every 2 weeks.

My intake fans are 2 120mm fans in the bottom front of the case, 1 92mm fan in the bottom back.

My exhuast fans are 1 92mm fan in the top back, powersupply fan, and a TT900 bay cooler.
Kazer
Golden Member

Post by Kazer »

Also by the way only cool air comes out of the exhaust fans and my computer never seems hot. I get fairly good temps.
ckaaron
Goober Member

Post by ckaaron »

is there airflow at the holes you're concerned with? they could be disturbing airflow inside the case without fans, but it's doubtful. usually if it was a concern the engineers would've left them semi-closed like a new drive bay. great case, by the way - I ended up with a cooler master for space and noise concerns.
Life is what happens while you're busy doing something else.
Kazer
Golden Member

Post by Kazer »

I have a TT900 bay exhaust in the lowest 5 inch bay.

Go to this site if you don't know what I'm talking about.

http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/5/34.htm?123

I'm really happy with this case, it's the kind of case I could use for a very long time. The only problem is it sucks carrying it around to lan parties.
ckaaron
Goober Member

Post by ckaaron »

that said - maybe the bay cooler should be mounted in the top most bay for best effect - heat rises. As far as fans go - you want to make sure that the volume of the intake and exhaust cfm equal each other within 5-10%. And I would say lazy air probably won't help air flow, so the empty openings in the case should probably be sealed. I've been looking into some silent (medical) fans from papst and panaflo (panasonic) that are way under 20 db (as opposed to 30db+ with most fans) with good output. Also considering lowering the fan speed some with a voltage controller. Any leads?
Zak33

Can't you jusr.......

Post by Zak33 »

.......use the other positive cable on the ribbon from your PSU? One is 12v and the other 6v, so try that.

The lower fan speed is often more efficient for the effect it has. ie the fast fan iis better but uses more electricity and is noisier per cu ft moved than the lower one. I guess that PC fans aren't that wel developed. Its weird that my PC fans have loads of blades but an aero plane stays in the air with only 3 or 4 or maybe 5 per prop!
Hey, that should stir up a debate huh?
www.hexus.net
ckaaron
Goober Member

Post by ckaaron »

Hey zak no doubt - what's with the blade number? *grin* (noise)

I think I found the holy grail in "hot vs. noisy" - I spent most of today researching every option possible.

Then I ran across a few things. A fan speed/temp controller that's about the size of a writing pen cap, made by control resources at http://www.controlres.com They also have a nifty info base, including a spec page demo feature.

And a style of vapor-barrier heatsink I've never seen before, made by Thermacore @ http://www.thermacore.com They claim their design spreads heat more evenly across the 'sink, reducing the heat stresses on local components. Maybe worth testing pretty soon on my own. I'm running Alpha's so there's no hurry on that one.

Working with a laptop was nice and quiet, and helped me write. And laptops don't wage wars! peace guys - hope this helps someone.
ckaaron
Goober Member

Post by ckaaron »

posting that last reply - I totally forgot the fan voltage switch @ http://www.nerdsbyte.com for $9.99US

Thanks for the tip - this is a great idea, and super easy to install. It switches the fans to about 60% power, increasing their life, and reducing the noise (and cooling) of the fans. I think active cooling would be tight, though!

Check this one out! think I'll call em tomorrow and ask em how to buy. I think they're (WispII) available through Newark electronics....
Zak33

Nice idea's!

Post by Zak33 »

Temp controlled fan speed internally controlled!

Like it
www.hexus.net