OCing the Phenom II CPUs

Discussions and help regarding overclocking, motherboards, peripherals, AMD and INTEL CPU's
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

I am going to give it a shot unlocking with this modest setup:

MSI 785GT-E63 & AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz & 4GB Ram. I read that the C3 CPu is easier to unlock to quad than some of the others. I hope I have some luck. I'll let you know how I do. Does unlocking the cores effect overclocking negatively?
VidmanII

Post by VidmanII »

hard to tell since I couldn't get them to unlock but I'd think that you'll have to get all four cores to OC as opposed to just two. That's the same cpu I have and many have had good luck unlocking the 3rd and 4th cores. LMK how it works out.

My chip, while a dud for unlocking, is a terrific OCer. I've booted into win7x64 @ 4 GHz using only the stock cooler. I've run prime95 for hours at 3.8 GHz with only a small voltage bump and stock cooler. I currently run it @ 3.71 with just a small voltage bump. When the weather warms up I'm going to install this aftermarket cooler I have and see what it'll do. I like to work on my computer outside on my deck. haha

Todd
AMD Ph II X4 955 BE 3.2 @ 3.8 GHz | Scythe SCSMZ-2000 | ASRock 880GMH/USB3 | 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 | Radeon HD5670 | Kingston 128GB SSD
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

Thanks for the reply. I am just going to get my OC nut off with this rig then plop it into my HTPC =P
GuardianAsher
Golden Member

Post by GuardianAsher »

I picked up a cheap little Dell Inspiron 570 that didn't stay a Dell for very long. I gutted it of it's precious internals and turned it into a gaming beast. An AMD Athlon II X4 630 (which is basically a Phenom II with it's L3 cache missing) on a Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H board. Stock of 2.8GHz, after about half an hour of tweaking, I've gotten it up to 3.36GHz on stock voltage with a close-to-stock cooler. Did you know that Dell uses LGA775 coolers on their AM3 machines?

I need to spend a bit more time with the overclocking thing, but a 560MHz bump isn't too shabby. My first 3GHz+ processor ever.
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

I was able to unlock the cores with my setup. It was as easy as going into the bios and enabling two menus and bada-bing X4 CPU now.

I want to benchmark it a little, what program do you suggest for that?
VidmanII

Post by VidmanII »

try sisoft sandra 2011.

Here's a page with a whole bunch of benchmark progs. some them look kind of dated though.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=189418