OCing the Phenom II CPUs

Discussions and help regarding overclocking, motherboards, peripherals, AMD and INTEL CPU's
VidmanII

OCing the Phenom II CPUs

Post by VidmanII »

Has anyone OCed these and if so, what voltages are you running at what speed?

I'm currently gradually working my way up the ladder. I have a 3.2GHz Phenom II running 17.5x200= 3.51GHz @ 1.375v and my temps are 24C mobo and about 46C load. That's using the stock fan/HS.

Here's the system........my first build since since my 3200+ AMD64/MSI K8T Neo Via in '04!! Been awhile. I don't game much but I do like to watch movies/music videos/anime as well as listen to a ton of MP3s/CDs.

AMD Phenom II X 555 Callisto Black Edition 3.2 GHz (3.51 GHz @ 1.375v)
ASRock 880GMH/USB3 AM3 AMD HDMI Micro ATX
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB 7200 RPM / 16MB cache
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB 7200 RPM / 16MB cache
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 7200 RPM / 32MB cache
Sony Optiarc DVDRW AD-7260S SATA
G. Skill 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR 1600 F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (8-8-8-24, 2T)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OEM
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5670 512MB DDR5 100287VGAL
ASUS VE228H 21.5” Full HD HDMI LED backlight LCD
ASUS SDRW-08D2S External USB 2.0 DVDRW
Samsung SH-B123L 12X Blu Ray combo drive
BOSE Companion 2 Series II Multimedia PC speakers
Onboard Realtek sound and NIC

Holdovers from last system ( oldies but goodies )
Vantec Stealth PSU 520Watt
Chieftec Graphite full tower case with acrylic side window

Anybody seen BillyGoat? I'd like to contact him.

Cheers,
Todd
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

People still overclock?
[email="chevelle.h@gmail.com"][color="red"]MAIL[/color][/email]
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Yes, some of us do :P I'm currently running a Quad core Q6600 at around 3ghz. Might be 2.8, I honestly don't remember and I'm not upstairs to double check. haha

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

With the speeds of procs these days, I don't really see a reason for this, the performance gain is not really that impressive. Now back in the AMD 64 days, I would overclock my but off and when the core duo came out but now with all the multi cores and such, just seems pointless to me. Seems like folding the mirrors back on a Ferrari just to go 1/2 a mile an hour faster.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

If you use the right processor, you're gonna get near 100% overclocks. Unfortunately, I've not used much AMD lately (well for overclocking). I'm hearing people getting 3.5-3.8ghz at stock voltages & 4ghz+ with a bit of a bump on that processor. Not sure if that's with the stock cooler or not.

Where a faster processer is really handy is if you're doing encoding of any sort. It does help quite a bit in physics heavy games as well, especially if your vid card doesn't support the standards in hardware.
RubberDuckie

Post by RubberDuckie »

Celery 300a ... Classic

But I agree... with speeds these days no OC here.
JSTMF
VidmanII

Post by VidmanII »

I do it 'cause it's a challenge and also I can "feel" when I hit a sweet spot with both a CPU and memory. It's not always the fastest stable speed either.

Oh,........and it's fun. I like speed. I'm heavy into motorsport and it's that small edge you get from fine tuning that can make a difference in where you finish.

PCs are no different. They're just machines begging you to help them reach their maximum potential. To me, stock = boring. You mean you guys don't tweak up your memory either?
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

I hate to say it, but it seems that most here are no longer PCAbusers.... Just PCUsers... :(

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
VidmanII

Post by VidmanII »

haha eGo. How ya been? I love that freakin' sig of yours. You've gotten alot of mileage out of that.
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Good Good. Just tooling along. Trying to get through school and what not. Will be nice once I get a job again so I can start another custom build. Thinking about building my own case this time.. Probably go with lexan or plexi.. :D

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I'm still an abuser. My CPU, Memory, & Vid card are all overclocked. Why not if it's free speed?
Kaworu

Post by Kaworu »

I cant say anything for the Phenoms, but my Athlon II 2.8GHz stock, I've had it as high as 3.5GHz with the stock cooler, with an 0.125 voltage bump. I probably could have pushed it a little more, but without a cooler upgrade I wasn't willing to push it to far. :)

Edit: I don't keep the chip OC'ed, just once to see what it could handle. :)
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I see no point in overclocking modern rigs, especially since I'm running a core i7 which does a 5 - 10% overclock automatically if all cores are not in use.

I did dabble with the Asus software overclocker and easily overclocked this CPU 20% without a problem but I just didn't see the point, and reliability is much more important to me.

Maybe when this rig is getting long in the tooth I'll re-install the OC software and play with it again.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

After I get past this christmas stuff(kids come first...) Im going to build me a new rig so I can start playing some games again. Now that things in my personal life are back to where they should be, I have quite a bit of idle time and some online fragging sounds like a lot of fun! Im sure I will be asking you gents some hardware questions since Ive been out of the loop for so long.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

It just pains me to know that my processor is capable of so much more. I certainly don't overclock to the point of instability. I'd bump it back quite a bit to achieve 100% stability.