OCing the Phenom II CPUs

Discussions and help regarding overclocking, motherboards, peripherals, AMD and INTEL CPU's
VidmanII

Post by VidmanII »

I've got mine to 3.61GHz at 1.375vcore. That's a pretty nice boost. Runs great. 44C load with stock cooling fan/hs. I dig it.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I bet you'd get 3.8 with an after market cooler. That said, you can't complain about 3.6ghz.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

The last time I did an overclock was the classic Celron 300A to 450. I prefer reliability instead of bragging rights. As Ego stated, I'm sure most of us are just users now LOL.
VidmanII

Post by VidmanII »

normalicy wrote:I bet you'd get 3.8 with an after market cooler. That said, you can't complain about 3.6ghz.
I think I probably could hit 3.8-4.0 even too. I have a CoolerMaster Hyper212 + sitting here that I got last month. Thing is I'll have to yank the mainboard out mount it. The thing is gigantic! If one were to throw it at someone, you might kill them. LOL I haven't decided whether to give it a go or not.

note to the "PCusers": this IS OCing forum is it not? :-)

Also, just because a system is OCed doesn't mean you're compromising stability. Alot of these chips are down binned due to supply and demand of the various speeds. Only one way to find out and that's to gas it !!

Cheers and Merry Christmas to one and all !!
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Thing is I'll have to yank the mainboard out mount it.
That's exactly why I cut a hole on the mounting plate right behind my processor. After swapping coolers enough times it's just too annoying. Though I give credit on most newer cases already having a hole.
note to the "PCusers": this IS OCing forum is it not? :-)
LOL, tell me about it.

I think a lot of people just don't care to go through the trouble of finding the sweet spot. I don't got for every last megahertz that is stable, so I'm willing to take a slightly lower overclock to keep things simple.
VidmanII

Post by VidmanII »

I have to admit, I didn't realize what it took to mount this cooler. when I ordered it I figured it was just a case of removing the stock cooler and clipping this bugger on. Fat chance as it turns out. If I get some spare time I might mess with it.

My daughter, who shares this rig with me, will not be pleased if I decide to tear things apart and install it.

........."Dad!! can't you just leave it alone!!" ( insert evil grin here ) haha
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

So long as the case isn't super cramped, I can usually replace a mobo in about 30 minutes. It seems intimidating, but really isn't too bad.
Koo Koo Mouse

Post by Koo Koo Mouse »

The only clocking I've done was underclocking a Cyrix just to keep it running til I could get a "real" proccessor. LOL
VidmanII

Post by VidmanII »

haha, I hear that !! I remember messing with those Cyrix chips. Didn't they run on a crazy 75MHz bus speed? "Good for office apps" LOL. Boy they were junk.
Koo Koo Mouse wrote:The only clocking I've done was underclocking a Cyrix just to keep it running til I could get a "real" proccessor. LOL
VidmanII

Post by VidmanII »

couple hours into prime95 here and 3.7+ doesn't seem to any trouble either. Might have to hook up that monster cooler and go for 4GHz.

Merry Christmas everyone !!
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Yeah, try to keep the temps under 40C & I'm thinking you'll be good.
VidmanII

Post by VidmanII »

under 40C? 40C load is nothing. They run hotter than that ( 44C) at stock speeds.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I'm used to using monster heatsinks.
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

VidmanII, can you / do you plan on unlocking the CPU to use four cores?
VidmanII

Post by VidmanII »

tried to unlock them. Upped voltage etc etc. it was a no go.

Todd
AMD Ph II X4 955 BE 3.2 @ 3.8 GHz | Scythe SCSMZ-2000 | ASRock 880GMH/USB3 | 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 | Radeon HD5670 | Kingston 128GB SSD